monthly meetings

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2002
      Hi Everyone -

      The last meeting was a blast - we were 20 strong crowded around my table, folding away as Malone Dietrich showed us how to make elegant sculptures out of mere paperbacks. I've made two now and can vouch for the fact that Malone's are the product of a subtle understanding of the nuances of geometry. This way of creating a book sculpture is fun and accessible to everyone who has a modicum of patience.

      As we were folding I raised the question as to why so few people were posting anything on the email list. It turns out that several people had received personal emails from a man named Barry Kintner who told them their postings were inappropriate. Barry has been with us since week one as the self-appointed monitor of our group. Considering that Barry lives in Phoenix, Arizona and has no intention of actually participating in our activities, I would say his comments and interference with our group dynamics are most unwanted. If anyone else receives unwanted mail from him I hope they will not hesitate to tell him to bug out - we can monitor our own local group, thank you. And please tell me or post the fact of his intrusion so we can have him removed and prevent him from intimidating anyone else into silence.

      The next meeting will be at the home of Virginia Gardner. Virginia lives close to me in a beautiful old house just up from the corner of Mission and Garden. Lisa Moore will be demonstrating - she will post the details of what to bring. So:

      1:00 pm on April 20
      Virginia Gardner's house at 2014 Garden St., Santa Barbara, (805) 563-9435
      email: VLTGbooks@...

      I will be gone all of April and so will miss this meeting. I would like to host the May 18th meeting because May 18th and 19th are the last days to drop off books for the show "So Called Books". For anyone new to this email group, "So Called Books" is a show of artists' books that will be displayed in my gallery over Memorial Day weekend. I am posting the specifics of this show in a different email so that the information on the show can be printed out or forwarded independently of this newsletter.

      Someone please take notes at the April meeting and post them so I can read about what happened when I get back------------Thanks,

      Jill

      Jill Littlewood, 435 E. Pedregosa, S.B., Ca., 93103, (805) 898 -9260