Show and opening party

    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      Its almost showtime! John Balkwill and Gary Adkins came over last week and got the presses running. Hooray! With some cleaning solvents and a bit of elbow grease we will have the Vandercook up and running for the Memorial Day show, BOOK * PAPER * LETTERS. John suggested we print a keepsake for the event and we are working to make that happen. If anyone wants to take a turn printing please don't hesitate: I can show you how in a few minutes and you can get all the oohhs and ahhs from people as they get their fresh printed keepsake.

      One of the big reasons for an annual show is for us to meet each other, or catch up if we have lost touch. As a community we hardly ever schmooze or have fun together (outside of Sally's class). So let's have an opening on Saturday night from 5:00 on. Bring some nibbles, bring a friend, pray for warm weather.

      As Lisa has been mentioning in her posts, we are going to set up a few interactive events this time. One of them is the Collage Cafe: some tables where people can make cards, collages, and try out the map folds Lisa is teaching on the 17th. I am going to have dozens of my collaged cards for people to take if they leave something behind: a card, a wish, a tiny token. I will use these to make new cards for next years show. Anyone who wants to join me giving away cards or collage materials please jump in. It is so great to see people light up when they find out they can play with all the cool papers and stuff!

      Lisa Moore, Sara Norquay and I have postcard invitations for the show. If you want some to send out get them from one of us. I have some that are blank on one side with the information about the show on the other so you can customize your invitations for your friends. Call me if you want these cards - 898-9260.

      Every day I get calls from people I have never met asking about the show: its exciting to know we are growing as a community.

      Jill Littlewood
      jill@...

      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2003
        OH RAPTURE, OH JOY! Which Saturday? The 10th?
        Ines
        > Its almost showtime! John Balkwill and Gary Adkins came over last week
        and got the presses running. Hooray! With some cleaning solvents and a bit
        of elbow grease we will have the Vandercook up and running for the Memorial
        Day show, BOOK * PAPER * LETTERS. John suggested we print a keepsake for
        the event and we are working to make that happen. If anyone wants to take a
        turn printing please don't hesitate: I can show you how in a few minutes and
        you can get all the oohhs and ahhs from people as they get their fresh
        printed keepsake.

        > One of the big reasons for an annual show is for us to meet each other, or
        catch up if we have lost touch. As a community we hardly ever schmooze or
        have fun together (outside of Sally's class). So let's have an opening on
        Saturday night from 5:00 on. Bring some nibbles, bring a friend, pray for
        warm weather.

        > As Lisa has been mentioning in her posts, we are going to set up a few
        interactive events this time. One of them is the Collage Cafe: some tables
        where people can make cards, collages, and try out the map folds Lisa is
        teaching on the 17th. I am going to have dozens of my collaged cards for
        people to take if they leave something behind: a card, a wish, a tiny token.
        I will use these to make new cards for next years show. Anyone who wants to
        join me giving away cards or collage materials please jump in. It is so
        great to see people light up when they find out they can play with all the
        cool papers and stuff!

        > Lisa Moore, Sara Norquay and I have postcard invitations for the show. If
        you want some to send out get them from one of us. I have some that are
        blank on one side with the information about the show on the other so you
        can customize your invitations for your friends. Call me if you want these
        cards - 898-9260.

        > Every day I get calls from people I have never met asking about the show:
        its exciting to know we are growing as a community.

        > Jill Littlewood
        > jill@...

      • Patrice Baldwin
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2003
          Congratulations, Jill! That's exciting news about your presses. Now
          everyone can try out printing and get hooked!

          We have three or four people coming to set up their own stands. One is
          Sukey Hughes, whom I met years and years ago and we've been playing
          keep up as she moved from Mexico to Santa Fe then to CA. She used to
          be a fantastic papermaker, wrote THE book on Japanese papermaking,
          made some fabulous wall pieces in Santa Fe. I don't think she's doing
          paper any more, but is coming to sell cards. It'll be fun to see her
          after quite a number of years.

          I'm doing the 2 day workshop in LA (Eccentric Contemporary Book
          Structures) this weekend and also enjoying my children fawning over me
          on Mother's Day... hahaha, I'm the baby sitter.

          The June meeting will be at Sara Norquay's school, BTW.

          Cheers,

          Patrice

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • littlewoodstudio@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2003
            Dear Ines,

            Sorry, I thought I was being clear. I mean the Saturday of Memorial Day
            weekend, May 24th. The show will have been up for a day so we can celebrate
            that, plus anything else we dream up that amuses us.

            Here are the dates again:

            Last day to bring work for the show: Sunday, May 18th, at my house, 435 E.
            Pedregosa, (898-9260). (If anyone hasn't been here, I am a few blocks south
            of the Old Mission.)

            Sara Norquay and I will be hanging the show the week of May 19th to 23rd.
            Come join us!

            The show is open to the public from noon to 7:00 P.M. on Saturday, Sunday and
            Monday the 24th, 25th, and 26th of May. This is a three day weekend for most
            people.

            We will have our opening party that Saturday evening from 5:00 on. (This
            seems like a better time than Friday evening when the crew hanging the show
            is doing finishing touches.) Just bring something to snack on and it's an
            instant party!

            Jill
            jill@...
          • Patrice Baldwin
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2003
              For those interested in displaying/selling their books, cards or
              whatever, let me know <mailto:patbooks@...>. You'll need to
              bring your own card table, chair, table cover, lunch, water bottle,
              receipt book, change, business cards or promotional material etc.
              It'll be outside, so a hat might be appropriate too, besides I like hats.

              See ya there!

              Patrice

              >Saturday of Memorial Day
              > weekend, May 24th. The show will have been up for a day so we can
              celebrate
              > that, plus anything else we dream up that amuses us.
              >
              > Here are the dates again:
              >
              > Last day to bring work for the show: Sunday, May 18th, at my house,
              435 E.
              > Pedregosa, (898-9260). (If anyone hasn't been here, I am a few
              blocks south
              > of the Old Mission.)
              >
              > Sara Norquay and I will be hanging the show the week of May 19th to
              23rd.
              > Come join us!
              >
              > The show is open to the public from noon to 7:00 P.M. on Saturday,
              Sunday and
              > Monday the 24th, 25th, and 26th of May. This is a three day weekend
              for most
              > people.
              >
              > We will have our opening party that Saturday evening from 5:00 on.
              (This
              > seems like a better time than Friday evening when the crew hanging
              the show
              > is doing finishing touches.) Just bring something to snack on and
              it's an
              > instant party!
              >
              > Jill
              > jill@l...
            • sally timlin
              Message 6 of 6 , May 10, 2003
                Hi all,Several of my students and I are planning on having a table set up with books for sale to benefit the adult ed. book arts program. With the drastic budget cuts we're seeing, smaller programs like ours run a great risk of being cut. If anyone out there has any suggestions about how to keep our program going in these meager times...we'd definitely be interested in hearing them. Thanks. Sally Timlinartgirl68@...

                Patrice Baldwin <patbooks@...> wrote:For those interested in displaying/selling their books, cards or
                whatever, let me know <mailto:patbooks@...>. You'll need to
                bring your own card table, chair, table cover, lunch, water bottle,
                receipt book, change, business cards or promotional material etc.
                It'll be outside, so a hat might be appropriate too, besides I like hats.

                See ya there!

                Patrice

                >Saturday of Memorial Day
                > weekend, May 24th. The show will have been up for a day so we can
                celebrate
                > that, plus anything else we dream up that amuses us.
                >
                > Here are the dates again:
                >
                > Last day to bring work for the show: Sunday, May 18th, at my house,
                435 E.
                > Pedregosa, (898-9260). (If anyone hasn't been here, I am a few
                blocks south
                > of the Old Mission.)
                >
                > Sara Norquay and I will be hanging the show the week of May 19th to
                23rd.
                > Come join us!
                >
                > The show is open to the public from noon to 7:00 P.M. on Saturday,
                Sunday and
                > Monday the 24th, 25th, and 26th of May. This is a three day weekend
                for most
                > people.
                >
                > We will have our opening party that Saturday evening from 5:00 on.
                (This
                > seems like a better time than Friday evening when the crew hanging
                the show
                > is doing finishing touches.) Just bring something to snack on and
                it's an
                > instant party!
                >
                > Jill
                > jill@l...