Literate acts: Book Crossing - URL recommendation

  • Lisa Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 10:29 AM
      FWD
      "Commit a random act of literacy.
      Visit www.bookcrossing.com"

      (Above is a member's signature from a different e-list, but I got
      a kick out of it...)

      Re: Book Crossing
      This is an international group that shares their books by leaving
      them places & then posting the location, w/ directions...easier
      than Letterboxing, but similar. One participant had plans to add
      homemade bookmarks with references to Book Crossing, thereby
      leaving a part of herself with the books she's shared...

      Here's an excerpt from their homepage, (Ron Hornbaker, ed.):
      "What is BookCrossing, you ask? It's a global book club that
      crosses time and space. It's a reading group that knows no
      geographical boundaries. Do you like free books? How about free
      book clubs?. Well, the books our members leave in the wild are
      free... but it's the act of freeing books that points to the
      heart of BookCrossing. Book trading has never been more exciting,
      more serendipitous, than with BookCrossing. Our goal, simply, is
      to make the whole world a library. BookCrossing is a book
      exchange of infinite proportion, the first and only of its kind.

      Here at BookCrossing.com you'll find tens of thousands of book
      reviews, book ratings, and book recommendations, because each
      time a book changes hands our members can leave journal entries
      telling the world of their experiences.

      But let's get right down to it. You know the feeling you get
      after reading a book that speaks to you, that touches your life,
      a feeling that you want to share it with someone else?
      BookCrossing.com gives you a simple way to share books with the
      world, and follow their paths forever more!

      The "3 Rs" of BookCrossing...

      Read a good book (you already know how to do that)
      Register it here (along with your journal comments), get a unique
      BCID (BookCrossing ID number), and label the book
      Release it for someone else to read (give it to a friend, leave
      it on a park bench, donate it to charity, "forget" it in a coffee
      shop, etc.), and get notified by email each time someone comes
      here and records journal entries for that book. And if you make
      Release Notes on the book, others can Go Hunting for it and try
      to find it!"

      Enjoy, With Love,
      Lisa

      http://platinum.yahoo.com