Thank You/ Ideas for Meetings

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
      Dear Everyone,

      Please send your thanks to Pat Baldwin (patbooks@...) for taking on the monthly meetings and shower her with ideas. Living in Santa Maria and being fairly new to our area she needs us to give her contact people and their phone/email information every time we suggest something.
      This would be best done directly to her at the email address above because individuals might not want their contact information posted to our group and thereby to the whole world.

      Here are a few of my ideas for future meetings:

      Art From Scrap is a wonderful place and Kay is both informative and welcoming. Their upstairs space is great for a meeting and then we can shop amidst their recycled treasures downstairs. Their recent shows of assemblage and collage have been great - they might be receptive to a book arts show.
      Phone:(805) 884-0459.......email:afs@............web site: www.artfromscrap.org

      I would love to highlight some of our local book artists by asking them to tell us about themselves and their work. Wouldn't you love to see a whole bunch of Karen Thomas' origami? Sally Timlin's witty pieces? Bill McVicar's work? Margaret Matson's amazing paper dresses? Jean Marie Seaton's unbelievabele ten-years-in-the-making book? It is always inspiring to know how someone became fascinated by this world of paper, books, and whatever else they mix it with.

      As to places to do this in, Virginia Gardner has offered us occasional meeting space in the building the University Women use, a beautiful building close to Alice Keck Park. Joyce Resnik has offered her lovely beach place for a meeting or two once it is warmer. Gianna de Girolamo-Gaudio said we can meet in her rec room again. The Ridley Tree was allowing the Santa Barbara Book Arts Alliance to use their rooms to meet in - perhaps they would welcome us as well.

      Pam Maines and Lisa Moore both have been on the trail of getting us in to see books at UCSB. They have a fabulous collection of artist's books at the Art Library.

      There are two groups in town I would love to see us meet with: the Art Teachers and the S.B. Calligraphy Association. The art teachers could tell us what might be useful for their classes and we could show or design books for them to teach at all levels of learning. Judy Nilsen is active in that group and in ours, as is Sara Norquay (who has offered to show printing techniques to the group over the summer break).

      The calligraphers have amazing and beautiful skills and it would be wonderful to ask them to show us their work. In turn we could show them ideas for how to showcase these beauties in book forms. (I have a resource person for this but I would want to check out her interest first.)

      I hope this inspires other readers to throw their ideas in the ring.

      Jill Littlewood
      jill@...

    • Patrice Baldwin <patbooks@mindspring.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
        Thanks Jill. I've printed all your good ideas out and will pursue them
        as soon as I can. I HOPE THERE'S SOMEONE WHO LIVES IN SB WHO'LL HELP
        WITH CONTACTING PEOPLE AND PLACES!!!

        Patrice