March meeting

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2002
      Hi everyone -

      We are starting to create the structures for the monthly meetings - so far they look like this:

      When: third Saturday of each month, 1:00 -4:00
      Where: for now, my studio: 435 E. Pedregosa
      Bring: finger food to share

      the usual book arts stuff: scissors, ruler, cutting
      board, pencil, mat knife, bone folder, etc.

      work to show and tell

      This is the bare bones. If you need directions or have questions, call me at 898-9260.

      For this meeting, March 16th, we will be making book sculptures so bring a paperback book you can transform. And dress in layers: my studio can be cold.

      On other book news fronts, the Thresh Hold project has gotten wonderful coverage in both the Independent and the Sunday News Press. All of us who worked on it are surprised and gratified to have it so well received. If you haven't seen it, it will be up through this coming Thursday at the Channing Peake Gallery (corner of Anapamu and Anacapa, across the street from Coffee Cat and kitty corner to the Central Library). We don't know when it will be shown again: if you have suggestions about where it would be welcome let me know.

      The Book Arts Festival I have been suggesting for Memorial Day weekend has morphed into something a bit smaller and more manageable for me to pull off successfully. It has changed into:

      SO CALLED BOOKS

      This is the name of the book show I would like to have in my gallery on that weekend, the last weekend in May. This seems an auspicious time since my house/gallery are just four blocks from the I Maddonari festival.

      As to who is welcome to show, the show is open to anyone who makes books. (My definition of a book: it's a book if the creator says it is). BUT: I can only take two kinds of books: those that can be touched and those that can be wall hung. The problems of showing books that need to be on shelves behind glass or need other special display or protection are beyond the scale of my gallery and my capacities as a curator/hostess. I welcome any artist to come and show their more delicate books in person but I cannot be responsible for protecting fragile books for the three days the show will be up. (The hours will be noon to 7:00 for those three days). I will post more information soon.

      See you Saturday, when Malone will show us how to make the kind of beautiful sculpures she makes out of paperback books.

    • patbooks2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2002
        --- In bookartsconnection@y..., "Jill Littlewood" <jill@l...> wrote:
        Jill:

        I'll be there! I'm anxious to see how she does it. The photos of her
        work that we saw last month were fantastic! Can't wait!

        See ya Saturday at 12:30. I'll help you set up.

        Pat Baldwin

      • milkyway990 <MSA@cinci.rr.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2003
          Hello,
          We have 10 persons signed up for the papermaking portion of the
          March 15th meeting, with space for two more. If you would like to
          attend please e-mail me seperately.
          So far for the pot luck we have cold cuts, a cheese tray, and a
          dessert. I will of course send out an e-mail listing items to the
          group later. Those in the papermaking workshop will be receiving a
          seperate e-mail regarding materials to bring.
          We are to have 1-3 inches of snow today. I'm looking forward to
          it. I think that I'll take some thinned tempera paints and
          create "Snow Art". Of course we will want the warm sunshine for the
          workshop.
          I would like to offer one other "food for thought". I would like
          to have a handmade paper and decorative paper swap with those
          interested. Please again e-mail me seperately so that I can
          assemble packets.
          - looking forward to time at home,

          -Maxine
        • Sara Norquay