Threshhold Reception Tonight

  • Bonnie Barabas
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2002
      Reminder to all Book Artists and Lovers

      Friday, March 1st, is the reception and formal opening of ³Threshhold², A
      Walk-through Book about the Passage of Time, created by the Santa Barbara
      Book Artists Alliance (Jill Littlewood, Ann Hefferman, Bill McVicar, Melody
      Malek-Duhamel Gianna DeGirolamo-Gaudio, and Bonnie Barabas)

      The exhibit is on display now through March 15, 2002.

      The local group which formed out of an artists book course at SBCC, began
      having meetings in 1996 to share resources, have local artist book exhibits,
      collaborate on projects, and support one another. From a monthly meeting in
      1999, the project was born.

      A friend calls us a cooperative art ensemble. The magic of this process is
      to watch how synergistic the making of art can be. We all influenced and
      touched one another. We became close in the process. In the beginning, we
      had meetings sometimes weekly or monthly. Halfway through it, months might
      go by without progress. At different times, different artists picked up the
      ball to get things rolling again. Somehow, we kept our egos out of the
      project, solved problems, made decisions and moved forward.

      We fell in love with the vision of a giant book about time in its conception
      and that kept us plugging along for over 2 and a half years. The structure
      consists of 4 giant, 8ft.tall turnstiles each loosely representing one of
      four seasons. The structures each turn on a center axis allowing the reader
      to physically spin the pages. Because there is often more than one reader at
      a time and there are 4 ³spines² so to speak, the reader is forced to
      experience our book in a random manner. Therefore, it was important that our
      book about the passage of time have a sense of fluidity and no beginning or
      end.

      For content, we explored what people thought and felt about entering a new
      millennia. We interviewed family and friends. We gathered poems, quotes and
      prose about the passage of time, where the past and future meets the
      present.

      The pages have painted backgrounds that resemble open landscapes. Some pages
      have painted imagery alone or with text.

      Please join us tonight if you can make it. The Channing Peake Gallery is in
      the County Administration Building at Anapamu and Anacapa and is open
      Monday- Friday, 9am-5pm.

      Today, the lead article in the Arts and Entertainment section of the
      Independent features the SBBAA and the Threshhold piece.