Greetings from Waterleaf Mill & Bindery:

  • patbooks2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2002
      Y'all:

      I'm writing you to let you all know that I have had a cancellation
      from my expected apprentice. She was coming for 3 months starting in
      March 1,2002. Well, she fell on some ice, and is flat on her back for
      the next few
      months! Poor thing.

      So, there's a space in my brand new studio in Santa Maria CA, for a
      full
      time apprentice for March, April and May. Santa Maria is on the
      central
      coast of California, about 1/2 hour south of San Luis Obispo and 1
      hour
      north of Santa Barbara. Allow me to quote from my own Apprentice
      Program
      brochure:
      _________________________

      "Waterleaf Mill & Bindery and Pequeno Press offer traditional
      apprenticeships to those interested in learning the techniques of
      papermaking, marbling and bookbinding; also the process of limited
      edition
      book production and the ins and outs of running a small business. The
      position is unpaid, and we don't charge for training. Apprentices are
      expected to assist on any project in the studio, whether it's the
      papermaker's helper or marbling chemical mixer or whatever, there's
      alot to
      learn by doing. Working in the bindery consists of boxmaking, binding
      the
      limited ediitons we produce (we specialize in miniature books) and
      learning
      about book design.

      Apprentice do some ordinary chores in the studio, like providing
      assistance
      with promotional mailings and advertising flyers. Work hours are from
      1:00pm to 5:pm five days a week, and time before and after work and on
      weekends is for private projects the apprentice is expected to
      produce. All
      studio equipment and machinery is at their disposal (not including
      paper,
      paints and dyes, etc. -- the "used up" things must be supplied or paid
      for). The training here is usually on a one-to-one, private basis
      unless we
      are holding an occasional class. Assisting in the workshops is also
      one of
      the duties of the apprentice, however, most of the time, BOOKBINDING
      will
      be the primary occupation.

      Our extensive studio library will be available as well as workshop
      notes
      and handouts for the various techniques. Apprentices are encouraged to
      take
      advantage of these during off-hours. And I am always available to help
      out
      with the private projects of the apprentices.

      To apply, write us about yourself, your education, interests, work
      background and reasons for your wanting to learn book arts at
      Waterleaf
      Mill & Bindery. We'd also like to see a few samples or photos of any
      work
      you've done in recent past. Since this is an unpaid position, you
      should
      carefully consider your income or financial assistance before you
      come. We
      offer a (brand new) apartment behind the bindery for apprentices at a
      very
      nominal rent. We require a term of two months minimum stay."
      ____________________________

      I know this is short notice, but there must be someone who can
      accomodate
      the starting date (which is negotiable, by the way). The position will
      go
      to the first one who can commit definitely! Otherwise, we could
      schedule
      you for the Winter months... the summer, I think, is filled, as well
      as Fall.

      Please think about this and get back to me soon if you are at all
      interested.

      Cordially,

      Pat Baldwin
      mailto:patbooks@...
    • patbooks2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2002
        --- In bookartsconnection@y..., "patbooks2000" <patbooks@m...> wrote:
        >The position will go to the first one who can commit definitely!
        Otherwise, we could schedule you for the Winter months... the summer,
        I think, is filled, as well as Fall.
        > Cordially,
        >
        > Pat Baldwin
        > mailto:patbooks@...

        To answer my own announcement - summer is NOT filled either - so the
        available months for the apprenticeship are March to August. I hope
        someone can take advantage of this.

        Pat