War as meeting topic

  • bamajoyce@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 10, 2003
      There is something so negative and sad about this topic, I couldn't/wouldn't participate. I am so disheartened by our possible war in Iraq, my art is compromised. Now, if you want to make PEACE a topic, I'm in!

      Joyce
    • Lisa Moore
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 10, 2003
        What about conflict & resolutions an encompassing theme? There
        are so many levels of both war-making & peace-making to
        investigate & again, in so many layers...what about bringing our
        personal perspectives to explore universal issues.

        Also, could we carpool/caravan to Ventura, February 15th?
        Love,Lisa

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • paperdance2@cs.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 10, 2003
          I think I agree with you.....the I Ching says "the best way to eradicate evil
          is the
          diligent pursuit of the good.! And I've given thought to the politics of
          art and the responsibility of the artist. Here's what I've come to....my
          art springs from joy,
          expresses the mysteries and is about prayer.
          Gianna

        • Pat Baldwin <patbooks@mindspring.com>
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 10, 2003
            > There is something so negative and sad about this topic, I
            couldn't/wouldn't participate. I am so disheartened by our possible
            war in Iraq, my art is compromised. Now, if you want to make PEACE a
            topic, I'm in!

            > Joyce

            I'm not real comfortable with it either.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 10, 2003
              conceptually i don't see how there is one without the other. precisely
              because the times are scary, people like you need to be out front, "making
              your mark" (ars) about how the reality of the world out there affects what
              we do, our art. the topic of war is sad and negative. so you make your mark
              on war by doing peace. remember one of the most successful antiwar posters
              of the late 60's was that brightly colored one that said "War is unealthy to
              children and other living things"?

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 10, 2003
                Yes. Exactly. You have formulated the issue much more elegantly that I did

                My point is: These times are difficult. I believe art and artist should be
                relevant (Don't you love the Brittish poet laureate coming against the war
                on the front page?????) The topic of war would (SHOULD?) include peace, like
                joyce wants, and all of the themes you present, and who knows how many other
                channels others in the group will open up for all to explore.

                Ines

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 10, 2003
                  Well. there i am again. polemics.
                  OK:
                  In my world view, joy cannot exist without awareness of its opposite. The
                  budda did not begin to become until he went outside the palace and
                  acknowledged suffering.

                  But, hey. It was an idea. If it does not fly, then it does not happen. Jill
                  asked for a theme, and i responded.

                  From: paperdance2@... <paperdance2@...>
                  To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date: Friday, January 10, 2003 5:05 PM
                  Subject: Re: [bookartsconnection] War as meeting topic

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 10, 2003
                    ok. I do not feel confortable with having a meeting with the theme as
                    "valentine" while really important issues are happening. So, somebody throw
                    some more ideas out there.

                    Ines

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 10, 2003
                      The diligent pursuit of good is not about irrelevance. It's about commitment
                      and knowledge.

                      >I think I agree with you.....the I Ching says "the best way to eradicate
                      evil
                      >is the
                      >diligent pursuit of the good.! And I've given thought to the politics of
                      >art and the responsibility of the artist. Here's what I've come to....my
                      >art springs from joy,
                      >expresses the mysteries and is about prayer.
                      >Gianna

                    • Lisa Moore
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 11, 2003
                        Firstly, Thank You Ines & Joyce for initiating this discussion,
                        and Ines, I think you've explained your proposal very
                        evocatively. This subject is very easy to react to with dynamic
                        these times.

                        I think by virtue of that alone it is important as a group to
                        consider why we should address it in a meeting. Coming together
                        for a common purpose, for a subject I do cringe from, offers the
                        opportunity for a healing activity, regardless of how each
                        participant comes to it, whether under auspices of depicting
                        Peace or reacting to the War itself. As I stated in my previous
                        post, there are so many levels & layers to touch on.

                        For me, taking part in this discussion has been personally
                        significant. I am heart-broken at what I believe to be inherently
                        wrong, and it is extremely painful to think about, but it has
                        brought me to focus on what I want to experience within myself,
                        which is harmony & balance, to bring beauty to a world that so
                        much needs it...

                        Even if as individuals we (the BAC), choose to consider this
                        privately & decide on something else as a group for February,
                        these postings have been pertinent.

                        In Gratitude & Love,
                        Lisa

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • Tom & Judy Nilsen
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 11, 2003
                          Well written, Lisa. I usually respond to questions or letters to individual members via their e-mail address. I did however enjoy reading the recent postings that went to the entire group, and reflecting on what they had to say. Judy
[...]

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • paperdance2@cs.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 11, 2003
                            Above discussion has stimulated me to realize I have already begun my piece
                            on this topic n my response to Joyce. Also my own depression about the state
                            of our country and the current leadership has been lifted by the recent
                            outpourings /powerful statements from around the world, including L.A. rally.
                            It gives me hope that we....the disparate masses.... will not allow this to
                            happen. So, Ines, bring it ON!!! I definitely will be there..And Lisa, I
                            also want to carpool.
                            Gianna

                          • paperdance2@cs.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 11, 2003
                              Pat....this is a response to an earlier email about Saturday schedules. I
                              empathize with your situation while thinking there really isn't a conflict
                              here. The BAC extends
                              from SLO to Ventura, with a very large membership. It seems that two sites
                              for
                              meetings and workshops at any given time presents more choices . Even when
                              overlapping in schedules this is not only NOT a problem but better serves the
                              membership.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 11, 2003
                                Interesting idea, Gianna.

                                Patrice

                                > ...The BAC extends
                                > from SLO to Ventura, with a very large membership. It seems that
                                two sites
                                > for
                                > meetings and workshops at any given time presents more choices ...
                              • sally timlin
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 12, 2003
                                  Hello all,
                                  I've been a fly on the wall reading all of your posts
                                  on war and peace and I must say, I think all together,
                                  they would make a facinating book in themselves...a
                                  bit of philosophy, psychology, and politics all rolled
                                  up into one lovely piece. How's about the theme of
                                  "All's fair in love and war" for the next meeting?
                                  Sally Timlin

                                  --- monguio <monguio@...> wrote:
                                  > ok. I do not feel confortable with having a meeting
                                  > with the theme as
                                  > "valentine" while really important issues are
                                  > happening. So, somebody throw
                                  > some more ideas out there.
                                  >
                                  > Ines

                                  =====

                                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                • Tom & Judy Nilsen
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 12, 2003
                                    Ditto. Judy

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 12, 2003
                                      love it. and curiously, that will be the theme of the next show of the
                                      artists union in ventura. how's that for synchronicity?

                                      From: sally timlin <artgirl68@...>
                                      To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                                      Date: Sunday, January 12, 2003 9:36 AM

                                    • paperdance2@cs.com
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 12, 2003
                                        I love it too!

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 12, 2003
                                          However, the actual attendance hasn't been outsized at all. I would
                                          recommend leaving the regular meeting date alone and encouraging more
                                          of the membership to attend. There are many members up there and down
                                          there who could offer a short workshop for our meetings. The original
                                          intent of the group was to learn from each other, and I, for one,
                                          would like to learn lots of new things from other members.

                                          Speaking of new things, does anyone remember that we're supposed to be
                                          making a group book of Sources & Resources and Tips & Secrets? I would
                                          like to collect more of each of those subjects from members, whether
                                          they are regularly coming to meetings or not. It's going to be a
                                          dynamite book, IF we ever get dynamite under everyone! The real work
                                          hasn't even begun, and the project is getting limp already. EMAIL ME
                                          YOUR IDEAS!!!! I'd like sketches of them as well.

                                          Patrice

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 13, 2003
                                            Oh yes, I agree that the regular meeting date should be left as is. Sorry if
                                            I didn
                                            T adequately explain I understood that to do valentines would be a deviation
                                            from the regular date since it came just AFTER Valentine Day. Also didn't
                                            adequately explain that this was not a for-fee workshop; it would have been
                                            instead of a private workshop. I just love valentines and the proposal was
                                            offered to indulge my enthusiasm for those, and to share my collage workshop
                                            for BAC but I am so happy someone else has v olunteered because as it turns
                                            out I am swamped right now. Also, after reading the dialogues on the topic
                                            Ines chose, I am definitely going to attend this workshop.

                                            Re the source book, I have PAGES of addresses for you and will try to get
                                            them
                                            off to you today.
                                            Gianna.