Sunday sale

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2002
      Hi everyone, I've just resurfaced from a bout of the flu on top of my annual sale of Afghan women's handcrafts. I'm still struggling with the former but the latter was a huge success: we made $8,450 last Sunday in my backyard.

      I can't promise anything like that for this coming Sunday's sale of ornaments/holiday papers/gifts but if anyone I haven't heard from wants to join in, here is what you need to know:

      If you have things to hang on a tree (like origami ornaments) please come Saturday the 7th and set your things up. If you just have a few things in a basket come on Sunday at 9:00 and help set up tables, food, whatever. We are open for sales from 10:00 to 4:00.

      To handle the money for a group of twelve (possibly more) the procedure is this: come with a total of what you would get if everything you are bringing sold. At the end of the day you will count up what didn't sell and subtract that from your original total. Everything should be priced clearly so customers and our tellers can quickly tell what you are charging. Checks can be made out to Littlewood Studios (and I will pay you in cash at the end of the day) but no one has the capacity to take credit cards.

      The only overhead is to pay my two sons $10 to work all day taking money. They have always been excellent help at the RAWA Afghan women's sale and I think they will do a good job here. This leaves me free to troubleshoot and socialize and you free to chat with all the friends you have invited.

      Bring some food and/or drink to share with the throngs of holiday shoppers. We will be setting up a little cafe area where you can sit and schmooze with family, friends and each other. If you have a way to package your delicate creations bring these too. We will have some bags and tissue paper but we want our customers to get their goodies home safely so think what your items might need and provide that.

      If it rains, save all the wonderful things for the Memorial Day book show or for next years holiday sale. If it rains we are sunk. My tiny gallery can only accommodate a small group of artist's work and I know of a dozen people coming to sell as it is.

      As to the folks who put up obnoxious postings, it just reminds me what a splendid job you do Karen. We have been running just over a year and this is the first time anyone has gotten past your eagle eyes. I vote to change only if Karen wants to. I want us to be open to unexpected surprises of the good kind (like Konstantin Mihov, the 16 year old Bulgarian bookbinder and fountain pen collector who contacted us awhile back) because it intrigues me to think that we are connected around the world in some undefinable way.

      I would like to float this idea for our January meeting: meet at the dolphin fountain at Stearns Warf with some paper, pens, and colored pencils or tiny watercolor set. Wander around for an hour or so and meet back at Hot Spots, the coffee shop a half bock up State St. to make a book from what you have seen, written, found, collected, traded, bought, or otherwise engaged in. We could do solo books, wander in groups or pairs, or have the books be passed from artist to artist so they are collaborative. If the weather is bad we could do the same thing at the Museum of Art at Anapamu and State. (Good food and coffee there!)

      If anyone has another idea let's do that and keep this idea in reserve. In March, Maxine Seelenbinder-Apke would like to show us her large works of handmade paper and I will set up papermaking at my studio for everyone to do.

      Happy holidays and I hope to see you Sunday--------

      Jill Littlewood
      435 E. Pedregosa - a few blocks south of the old Mission; the cross street is Laguna
      898-9260

    • paperdance2@cs.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2002
        I see no need to change, either.
        Gianna

      • Linda Snook
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2002
          Dear Jill,

          So good to hear from you and to know that the RAWA benefit was SOOOOOOOOOOO
          successful (despite my inablility to contribute)! Wishing you all the
          holiday blessings of
          the children of Abraham. May peace prevail on earth!

          soon come more later,
          Linda

        • Pat Baldwin <patbooks@mindspring.com>
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2002
            Jill:

            I hope you're feeling better now. I'm sorry I can't be there Sunday as
            I'll be in Bisbee AZ (where I used to live) being an editor, helping a
            friend write a book proposal and hanging out with old friends. I'll be
            back the next weekend.

            Have a great sale Sunday, and a wonderful Holiday Season everyone.

            Patrice

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2002
              Fine with me!
              Gianna

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2002
                Wont be there this Sunday. Hope all is well and you guys have fun.

                Also, Hiromi Paper International in Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, is
                having the annual sale. It's a great resource too, Pat. Great japanese
                papers, some book making supplies (includoing methyl cellulose.) Full
                address:

                2525 Michigan Ave.
                Bergamot Station G9
                Santa Monica, CA 90404
                (310) 998-0098

                www.hiromipaper.com

                Ines

> [...]
                Hot Spots, the coffee shop a half bock up State St. to make a book from what
                you have seen, written, found, collected, traded, bought, or otherwise
                engaged in. We could do solo books, wander in groups or pairs, or have the
                books be passed from artist to artist so they are collaborative. If the
                weather is bad we could do the same thing at the Museum of Art at Anapamu
                and State. (Good food and coffee there!)

                >If anyone has another idea let's do that and keep this idea in reserve. In
                March, Maxine Seelenbinder-Apke would like to show us her large works of
                handmade paper and I will set up papermaking at my studio for everyone to
                do.

                >Happy holidays and I hope to see you Sunday--------
                >
                >Jill Littlewood
                >435 E. Pedregosa - a few blocks south of the old Mission; the cross street

              • Tom & Judy Nilsen
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 9, 2002
                  Jill I'd like to send you a note regarding yesterday, but I don't have your personal e-mail. The whole book arts groups doesn't need to read my thank you to you. Please let me know if you have another address. Judy Nilsen
[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor