New Year's News

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2002
      Happy New Year Everyone!

      The sale and art show for RAWA (Revolutionary Assoc. of the Women of Afghanistan) was a huge success. We raised $8ooo the day of the sale and continued to sell artwork for two weeks after. It was a hopeful way to begin the holiday celebrations.

      I just got word from Bonnie Barabas that the Threshold book project - a book 32' long and 7' high -will be shown for the first time in the Chandler Peake gallery in downtown Santa Barbara in February and March. This project has occupied the time and energy of a band of bookmakers for the last two and 1/2 years. Bonnie or I will post updates as we become aware of the details.

      The first of an ongoing series of monthly meetings will begin this weekend at my house. Pat Baldwin and Joyce Resnik
      are moving this along. It is open to anyone who wants to come. In the future it will be at anyone's house who volunteers and we will have a workshop led by a member. My address is 435 E. Pedregosa. I am a few blocks down from the Mission and the rose gardens. My phone # is 898-9260. The time for the meeting is set for noon and I'm not sure how long we will go; perhaps 'til 3:00 this time.

      Sally Timlin is teaching her fabulous book arts class at the Ridley Tree on Friday mornings Since this is for Adult Ed. the sign ups are this Friday. I am really looking forward to going - I need to have some fun with other bookmakers.

      Recently I have been thinking about how to use my gallery for the book arts. I came up with the idea of an annual Book Arts Festival in my backyard the weekend of the I Madonnari chalk painting event. This takes place every Memorial Day at the Mission. Since my house is so close it seems like a good conjunction of fun events - come see some handmade books, wander up to see the chalk paintings. The weather is usually excellent so if we expand out of my small gallery space we could use the rest of the coach house yard. For this first year I hope we can have the Threshold project up as a great example of a unique book.

      See you this Saturday!

    • askengel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
        Hi,
        Since I am in Ojai, I never hear of the classes in Santa Barbara.
        You mentioned a Book Arts class this coming Friday. Where do
        I get information about it?
        Thanks,
        Sharon Engel
      • sally timlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
          Hello all!
          Sally here...hope your holidays have been filled with
          much creativity and artmaking. Just wanted everyone to
          know I'll be teaching Book Art Creations again for SB
          Adult Ed beginning this Friday, Jan. 11 from 9AM -
          12PM at the Schott Center. Should be fun even for you
          experienced book artists...another avenue for
          creativity! The optional (although well worth it!) fee
          is $10. Hope to see you there! Sally

          --- askengel@... wrote:
          > Hi,
          > Since I am in Ojai, I never hear of the classes in
          > Santa Barbara.
          > You mentioned a Book Arts class this coming Friday.
          > Where do
          > I get information about it?
          > Thanks,
          > Sharon Engel

          =====

          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
        • Karen Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
            Hi sally,

            I will try to make it to your class. I need to recharge my creative batteries!

            Happy New Year!

            Karen

            "Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most"
            http://www.karenelaine.com

          • sally timlin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
              Oh goody! Am really looking forward to teaching again!
              Hope you can make it! Sally

              =====

              Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
              http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
            • Barry A. Kintner
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2002
                Good day all -
                -- If you will include an Email address with your name on your initial posting ( for classes and such ) and note for those who intend to
                reply to use that Email address to reply privately - instead of sending messages to the entire group - when they actually are meant to
                go to a single individual. If you simply hit the "Reply" button, everyone on the list gets the message - and stares blankly at it - with the
                thought that, well this is for ... G'nite.

                Barry Kintner
              • zumiow
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 12, 2002
                  Sally's class rocks!