Our Sources & Resources/Tips & Secrets book...

  • Pat Baldwin
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2002
      Y'all:

      Here's what I have so far. Obviously, we'll need LOTS more for a
      finished text. Get your thinking caps on, and dig down into your
      sources and secrets! Email them to me during December. I'd like to
      start printing the book in the middle of January or so.

      Patrice
      mailto:patbooks@...

      SOURCES AND RESOURCES

      Califia Books - 20 Hawthorne St., San Francisco CA 94105 (415)
      284-0314 www.califiabooks.com
      Fine press and artists' books, broadsides and resource books.

      Dover Books -

      Chaucers Bookstore - Loretto Plaza (Las Positas and State Sts.)
      The finest collection of books on paper, bookbinding, cards, origami -
      you name it. The children's section has all kinds of crazy book
      things. Good cards, journals and Dover paperbacks.

      McManus Morgan - 7th St across from McArthur Park in Los Angeles.
      The oldest, most venerable paper supplier in Los Angeles. Shop hasn't
      changed in 50 years. They have an extraordinary selection and know
      all about the properties of the papers they sell.

      Hiromi Japanese Papers - Bergamont Station, 26th Ave, Santa Monica.
      Beautiful store, beautiful papers and prices that allow you to
      appreciate the labor that made them. Website:

      Violet's (in Ventura)

      Art from Scrap - Cota and Garden Sts. This is a treasure trove of
      cheap, fun, good stuff. Always a surprise and a delight to shop there
      and kind to your conscience too.

      Betty's Fabrics - State at the Paseo Nuevo. Fabulous buttons, fabrics,
      notions. Another oldie but goodie.

      Dharma Trading Co - P.O. Box 150916, San Rafael CA 94915 (800) 542-5227
      The most extensive selection of dyes and things to dye on in the West.
      Silk painting, batik, fabric painting and other colorful fiber arts
      are created with their supplies. The selection of white clothing in
      silk and cotton to decorate is huge. Nice people to work with.

      Hide & Leather House - 870 W. Cienega Ave. #7, San Dimas CA 91773
      (866)527-3332 hideleath@... ALSO - The Hide House - 595
      Monroe St. Napa CA 94559 (707)255-6160
      hideinfo@... - Leather suppliers

      Art Essentials - Victoria and Anapamu. We are lucky to have such a
      good art store here in Santa Barbara. Sam and Carey, the owners, are
      really nice guys and always helpful. The 20% discount you can have
      just by asking for it, makes their prices competative with larger
      stores and cheap mail order places. I always start with Art Essentials
      and only go elsewhere if the saving is really worth the hassle.

      Light Impressions - P.O. Box 787 Brea CA 92822 (800) 828-6216
      www.lightimpressionsdirect.com
      A mail order source for archival supplies including mat board, papers,
      UV filtering glass, boxes, photo and slide storage systems, glues and
      tapes and other useful book and box making supplies. They also carry
      an extensive collection of photo albums and scrap books and the
      sleeves of various sizes to fill them. Shipping is fast and efficent.
      I've been a customer for more than 20 years and have liked how well
      their goods are made.

      Daniel Smith - (800) 426-6740 www.danielsmith.com
      Great catalogue, full of clear, useful, accurate information. Not the
      cheapest, but always good quality. They ship promptly.

      Paper, Ink - Loretto Plaza (State and Las Positas Sts.)
      A great selection of laser and ink jet friendly papers with matching
      envelopes. Some mouth watering papers from Italy, Japan, England and
      elsewhere. Sealing wax, stickers and ribbons, calligraphy pens. Always
      something to crave.

      Dolphin Papers - 1043 Virginia Ave., Indianapolis IN 46203
      Imported and domestic papers of all kinds. Good prices.

      TALAS - 568 Broadway, New York NY 10012 (212) 219-0770
      Supplies, tools, papers and leather for book artists.

      NASCO Arts and Crafts - 4825 Stoddard Rd., Modesto CA 95356-9318
      (800) 558-9895 www.nascofa.com
      Art supplies and materials.

      Dick Blick Art Materials - P.O. Box 1267, Galesburg IL 61402-1267
      (800) 447-8192 www.dickblick.com
      Art supplies and materials.

      FLAX Art and Design - 240 Valley Dr., Brisbane CA 94005-1206 (800)
      352-9278 www.flaxart.com
      Art supplies, gifts and papers.

      Photographers Formulary - P.O. Box 950, Condon MT 59826 (800) 922-5255
      Cyanotype print chemicals. Supplies for alternative printing processes.

      East West DyeCom.Inc - 2210 East Gate Ave. NE, Roanoke VA 24012 (703)
      345-4241
      Anodized Aluminum. Variety of colors and shapes.

      SOURCE BOOKS

      "Paper: Making, Decorating & Designing" by Berta Thackeray

      "Collage Techniques" by Gerald Brommer, Watson Guptill - Various
      ideas and techniques

      "Sculpture in Paper" by Nicholas Roukes, Davis Publications -
      Excellent craftsmanship

      "In Harmony with Nature - Painting the Spirit of Nature" by Maxine
      Masterfield, Watson Guptill - Various painterly techniques that apply
      to all arts.

      "Decorative Paper" by Diane Maurer-Mathison, BBD Illustrated Books -
      Techniques of surface design.

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      TIPS & SECRETS

      The Glue-Off Center Drip Handy Dandy Wire
      Shape a wire to fit snugly around the edge (about 1/8" below the lip)
      of your glue container. Then bring the end of the wire across the
      center of this circle, wrap the ends tightly on the opposite side and
      snip the ends closely. When tipping off excell glue from your brush,
      always use the wire across the ednter of the glue pot. This allows the
      excess glue to drip directly into the glue in the container. By not
      using the edge of the glue pot to remove excess glue from your brush,
      you save a great deal of glue which otherwise would harden to the
      inside of your container.

      Olfa Rotary Cutters
      Available at fabric stores, craft stores, art supply stores. Wonderful
      hand saver when you have a lot of cutting to do. Best when cutting
      leather, fabric or handmade papers.

      Book Cover Materials
      Sterling silver, anodized aluminum, clay, fimo, wood, glass, plastic,
      bone, tin, rubber or copper. These materials may use cold fasteners,
      such as rivets, pop rivets, nuts and bolts, coiled copper, brass,
      aluminum, silver or gold wire or glue.

      Different Threads for Books
      Artificial sinew, mint or regular dental floss, thin rattail,
      glycerinized raffia, patterned shoe strings, very thin, soft leather
      strips or copper wire.

      To Preserve Newspaper Clippings
      Dissolve one Milk of Magnesia tablet in one quart of club soda. Let
      stand overnight. Soak the clipping in the mixture for one hour. Remove
      and pat dry. Gently flatten during air drying.

      Tight Caps
      To remove paint tube caps, use a nutcracker.

      Finger Protector
      When spray painting, cut off and save the fintertips from worn-out
      rubber gloves. Slip one of these onto your index finger to keep stray
      paint off your finger.

      Easy Opening
      Put a tad of vaseline on the threads of jar tops, especially for
      acrylic paints and glues.

      Neat and Available
      Use magnet bars to keep scissors, tweesers, pins, razor blades and
      other tools out and ready to use.

      Paper Edges
      To finish paper edges (1) cut with mat cutter for a sharp, crisp edge,
      (2) Pull up against a straight edge for a softer edge or (3) fold
      paper, wet the fold and pull carefully apart for the softest edge.

      Storage
      For quick and archival storage, use ziplock bags. It's the same
      polypropelene as the more expensive archival sleeves and they come in
      all sizes, from snack size to 2 gallon size (great for organizing photos).

      More Storage
      Drawers are best. Things stay cleaner than on shelves and are easier to
      access than storing in plastic or cardboard boxes.

      Mental Tip
      My greatest tip is to just keep working. Do lots. When in doubt, make
      more. Quality comes from quantity because you learn all the subtleties
      of your medium and your own rhythms as you go. The greatest mistake is
      to think things have to be perfect before you can begin... ideas have
      to be formulated, tools sharp, weather obliging. PHOOEY! Good art can
      be made spontaneously with dull scissors in the rain. Just start. And
      keep going. The making will draw you in and quiet those doubting,
      critical voices in your head.
      Jill Littlewood

      Teach
      As soon as you learn something pleasing, find someone to teach it to.
      The teaching cements the knowledge, and giving back feels good. As
      they say about procedures in Medical school: "Watch one, do one, teach
      one."

      Work Table
      A table top that is good is the rectangle/oval cutout form a kitchen
      counter top. You can go to a place that does kitchen remodels. You can
      even attach a handle to the edge of the rectangle/oval so you can take
      this wonderful counter top with you. I have found them free. Good for
      fimo, clay, marbling, paste paper etc.

      Photographing Your Art
      Wayne McCall will take professional photos of your work. He is worth
      his price. (805) 969-3153.
      281 Oak Road, Santa Barbara 93108

      Custom Cut Davey Board - Red Label available in 4 weights.
      .059"- $0.02 per sq. in.
      .074"- $0.025 per sq. in.
      .087"- $0.03 per sq. in.
      .098"- $0.035 per sq. in.
      Contact Joe, bookboard@... Include dimensions in inches
      (e.g. 8 3/4"x 7 5/8") and indicate which dimension is the spine
      length. Boards will be cut with grain parallel to the spine unless you
      indicate otherwise.

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Glues and Adhesives for Artists (special section)

      PVA - Polyvinylacetate bookbinding glue. It dries clear and remains
      flexible. It is also reversable with heat or moisture. It is available
      in quarts or gallons at Art Essentials. When put into squeezy bottles
      with fine tips, it can be used for cards, collages and repairs. It
      also brushes on well. Jade, Elvase and Lineco are all brands of PVA
      adhesive that are pH neutral. One special characteristic of Jade and
      Elvase is that they can be used to dry mount very thin papers or
      fabrics. The glue is applied to a surface, let dry, and then placed on
      the work. It is "heat set" in place using a medium hot iron and a
      cover sheet. To slow down the fast drying qualities of PVA, mix it
      50/50 with methylcellulose. PVA, once frozen, loses its adhesive
      qualities. Most suppliers will not ship it during the winter months.

      Glue sticks - Pritt -

      Potato and Almond paste used in Europe is my all time favorite. I have
      now found it in FLAX:
      1 800 343 3529, www.FLAXart.com. It is called Coccoina paste.

      Methylcellulose - This granular powder is made from plant fiber and is
      pH neutral. It dissolves very slowly in water and makes a thick or
      thin low tack, clear paste that is vermin-proof. It keeps indefinitely
      when made with distilled water. A very good paste for conservation
      mounting and as a base for paste papers. The beauty of this paste is
      that it dries absolutely clear, allowing you to use it on very thin,
      delicate papers.
      To mix methylcellulose, use one T. of powder to one cup of warm water.
      Whisk often to mix well. Let it stand overnight so the powder absorbs
      the water. Use thick or thin it with more water.

      Wheat Starch Paste - This water soluble paste is made by cooking wheat
      starch with water. It results in a strong, flexible paste. It is often
      used by conservators and when working with rice papers. It is good for
      mounting paper hinges when matting art work. It is not vermin-proof.
      Paste recipe: 6 parts water to 1 part flour or corn starch. Dilute
      flour in two parts cold water till smooth. Strain for the lumps (just
      in case) into a pot with the rest of the water. Stir to dissolve. Cook
      over medium heat until it begins to thicken, stirring constantly.
      Lower heat to simmer and cook 5 more minutes, stirring occassionanlly.
      Store in refrigerator. If you cover the paste with plastic or wax
      paper touching the paste before putting the lid on, it will not form a
      film. Corn starch gives a clearer paste.
    • askengel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2002
        Hi Pat,
        Here's the info on Violets:

        Violet"s Rubber Stamp Inn
        2692 loma Vista Road
        Vetura, Ca 93003
        805 648-7610
        Besides all the usual stamping supplies, you can find a small
        selection of art papers, books, and some bookmaking supplies.
        But the best part are the classes and workshops on book
        making. Instructors come there from all over the country.
      • askengel@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 12, 2002
          A couple of books that I like:

          "Bookworks" by Sue Doggett

          and

          "Making Journals by Hand" by Jason Thompson
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2002
            OK. A few more things that i thought were not good enough to send you.

            Scour thrift shops and auctions. I have found really neat old cotton crochet
            yarn, ribbons, needle cases, and sawing doodas that look great in books.

            I have found nice paper in stationary section of "Tuesday Morning" discount
            shops for excellent price. You got to keep checking though. Sometimes they
            have nothing.

            I have found hand held drill to be a lot easier on my hands than hole
            punchers. Small pressure clamps hold the pages together better than c clamps
            of bull clips. You can get the clamps at Home Depot.

            "Color on Paper and Fabric" by Ruth Issett (Hand Book Press, Madison,
            Wisconsin) has lots of interesting techniques and ideas.

            "Handmade Books and Cards, by Jean G. Kropper (Davis Publications,
            Worcester, Mass.) has some interesting formats.

            Catalogues of luxury items have provided lots of interesting bits and images
            for collage.

            I keep a skethc/note/diary book by the TV and another by my chair at work.
            When ideas strike, I jot them down. Lots more effective than thinking I will
            remeber later. (Never happens!!!)

          • paperdance2@cs.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 13, 2002
              There are 2 great stores in Seattle which I frequent when I'm there. I'll
              get the info for us.
              Gianna

            • paperdance2@cs.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 13, 2002
                WOW, Ines.............your brain is on triple time. I love it.
                Gianna

              • Barry A. Kintner
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 13, 2002
                  Good day all -
                  -- Would the person who posted the list of sources and resources please send it again. I must've missed it.

                  Thanks

                  Barry Kintner
                • Pat Baldwin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 13, 2002
                    Thanks for these books. I'd like to get the publishers in there too.

                    Patrice

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 13, 2002
                      WELL! That's more like it, folks. Keep 'em coming.

                      Thanks to all who submitted their information.

                      Patrice
                    • paperdance2@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 14, 2002
                        O.K. word is slowly leaking in. One seattle store is TURTLE PRESS on
                        Market Street in Ballard (a sub urb). I'm waiting for the actual address b
                        ut you
                        might call them to find outif you want it before. Turtle Press is the
                        BookArt store
                        and has really interesting collage stuff, very interesting pastes, decent
                        papers but
                        this isn't their strongest point. They also have little objects for collage
                        which I like.
                        Gianna

                      • askengel@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 14, 2002