the LABook Center meeting on Sunday...

  • Pat Baldwin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      Y'all:

      I just wanted to let you know about the meeting in LA yesterday. It
      was held at a small school, and there were about 30 people there (1
      guy). They have a board of 6 people who have helped in different areas
      to start up, and are in the process of writing the by-laws so they can
      apply for non-profit status and get some grants.

      Their goal is to have a center like the one in San Francisco where
      people can take classes, work and exhibit paper and book works. They
      are very organized, but in the very early stages, and so opened the
      floor up to any and all kinds of suggestions as to what everyone
      really wanted in an organization of this type. I put in my 2 cents a
      few times and told them that the CCBAG wanted to cooperate and
      interact with them.

      Everyone was very enthusiastic and full of hope and plans. There's no
      reason in the world that LA can't make a go of it. They have many very
      experienced people and lots of beginners who want to learn. The
      meeting lasted an hour and a half. Afterword they had refreshments and
      I chatted with a few people I knew or who knew me.

      It only costs $35 to join, and I hope those here who wouldn't mind an
      occasional trip to LA will join and participate. Get in contact with:
      Lisa Deutsch, President
      Los Angeles Book Arts Center
      8642 Gregory Way
      Suite 301
      Los Angeles, CA 90035
      (310) 657-2616
      Lagourmet@...
      www.LABookArts.com

      Patrice

      P.S. There's still space in the JAPANESE RECHOSO BINDING workshop next
      Saturday at my studio in Santa Maria. It's $50 - from 1: to 4:00.