Re: [bookartsconnection] paste paper

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 7, 2002
      I.m taking the week off to catch up on work.... and made the mistake of
      starting some paste paper. haven't opened the laptop till just now, and it's
      to aske about the ironing step. I am having the hardest time returning them
      to their smooth stage. I saw some of the paper that Sharron and Joyce had as
      examples, so I know it can be done. but how? just time and elbow grease? I
      have even used the steam setting, which helps a bit but not much. Help?

      From: Jill Littlewood <jill@...>
      To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, September 26, 2002 10:04 PM
      Subject: [bookartsconnection] October meeting

      >Hi everyone,
      >
      >What a delicious time we had with Joyce and Sharron. Paste papers seem
      almost edible, and everything looked so beautiful in the light of Joyce's
      beach house. I do hope we can do it again, for those who came and those who
      wish they could have. Thank you Joyce and Sharron for a great afternoon.

      > In between papers and snacks we discussed monthly meetings and came up
      with this:

      >October 19th will be at Jill's studio (435 E. Pedregosa, 898-9260). We
      will have a swap meet and begin the book Pat is masterminding. For the
      former bring papers, books, rubber stamps, toys, or anything that you are
      ready to part with. I am making packets of collage material and I keep
      finding other things to throw in the give away box. For the latter, bring
      two different kinds of information: resources you have used and like (bring
      their address, emails, phone #'s etc. as we will be putting this in a book)
      and tips you have found useful. Pat will collect and print this information
      after we have generated it over the next few months. If you can't come in
      person you can email her with your resources and tips. Eventually we will
      have a bookbinding party and make a dos-a-dos book out of all this wonderful
      info. To make life really easy for Pat, put your information on 3x5 cards.
      If you have catalogues or other printed material from places you like this
      would be a great time to share them.

      >November 16th will be a bring-your-project-and-work-on-it meeting. We are
      not sure of the place. Lisa had agreed to lead this one as she knows this
      is a busy time for making holiday gifts. Which leads us to

      >December. Since the third Saturday is so close to Christmas we were going
      to cancel the meeting. But then I thought to ask if anyone wanted to add
      their work to an ornament show I am having in my gallery on Dec. 8th. I am
      working with artists in other disciplines and hadn't thought of book
      artist's but when I did I realized how perfect little books and various
      origami pieces would fit this theme. So if you want to make things and sell
      them Dec. 8th have them to me by Dec. 7th when we hang the show. And if you
      want to bring food to share on the 8th I'm sure it will be a party all day.

    • bamajoyce@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 7, 2002
        Inez--I just iron the pages flat on a breadboard, stack them one on top of the other, and press with a baking sheet with a cast iron pot on top! Once the pages are cold and have been pressed, they remain flat. I found that using the fabric covered ironing board was more difficult than when I use just the breadboard, uncovered.

        Joyce
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 7, 2002
          Thanks. i'll try that tomorrow (got to do SOME work tonight)
          see what you started?

          From: bamajoyce@... <bamajoyce@...>
          To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Monday, October 07, 2002 11:02 AM
          Subject: Re: [bookartsconnection] paste paper

        • paperdance2@cs.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 7, 2002
            Ines...I can't get my paper as smooth as sharon and Joyce, either. I did
            use a steam iron and it helps a lot but maybe pressing it in a book or under
            a pile of books with heavy rocks on them will give the look you want.
            Gianna

          • paperdance2@cs.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 7, 2002
              AAAHHH SOOOO! Gianna

            • Karen Thomas
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 9, 2002
                Greetings everyone!
                I am sending you this email from Tokyo Japan. I
                arrived last night and couldn't really sleep so here I
                am on the internet!
                Today I am visiting the Kobayashi center for the for
                the paper arts and then Tokyu Hands which is the
                ultimate craft mecca here.
                Saturday, I am off to visit the factory where Mizuhiki
                is made and sunday I am flying to Hong Kong, again to
                look for interesting paper related items. I will keep
                you all posted!

                Take care,
                Karen

                =====
                "Art takes my mind off my hair"http://www.karenelaine.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 10, 2002
                  Wow! Looking forward to hearing from you.
                  Gianna

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 10, 2002
                    Dang, Karen. My drooling is making a mess on the floor. Bring lots of
                    stories.

                    Ines

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 10, 2002
                      And bring paper!
                      Gianna

                    • Karen Thomas
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 10, 2002
                        Konichiwa everyone!
                        Yesterday I visited the Origami Kaikan and met with an
                        origami master who taught me some cool folds. He is
                        going to collaborate with me on some origami
                        instruction books. Very exciting!
                        Today I am going to Okinawa by train to meet with our
                        export division and then hopefully some more shopping.
                        Yesterday I shopped at my favorite place called Tokyu
                        Hands and found those wonderful tiny peg alphabet
                        stamps. The font is about 9 point. So cute! I picked
                        up an extra set for someone who really, really wants
                        one. I suppose I can auction it? :-)
                        Anyway, I am functioning on very little sleep since my
                        body clock is still in Santa Barbara.
                        Take care and I will see you all when I get back!

                        Karen

                        =====
                        "Art takes my mind off my hair"http://www.karenelaine.com

                        http://faith.yahoo.com
                      • sally timlin
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 10, 2002
                          Me! Me, Karen! Hope you're having a fantastic time on
                          your trip. Let's get together when you get back so you
                          can do show-n-tell and so I can collect my house book.
                          I saw your version on your website and it is truly a
                          gem! O'talented one! Take care. Have fun!
                          Sally

                          =====

                          http://faith.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 11, 2002
                            DIBS ON THE LETTERS!!!!

                            From: Karen Thomas <artisforall@...>
                            To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                            Date: Thursday, October 10, 2002 3:22 PM
                            Subject: Re: [bookartsconnection] In Japan

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 12, 2002
                              karen....can yhou bring a BUncH letters?
                              Gianna

                            • paperdance2@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 12, 2002
                                Yeah! Bring a bunch of cool stuff and have an auction.
                                Gianna

                              • kmar
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 12, 2002
                                  Karen- I am also thoroughly enjoying the reports from Japan, one of my all
                                  time trips I would like to take. Bring back everything to auction. I have
                                  been searching for small alphabet stamps for faux stamps. Thank you for the
                                  posts. Kathleen Baggarley-Mar