October meeting

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 26 10:06 PM
      Hi everyone,

      What a delicious time we had with Joyce and Sharron. Paste papers seem almost edible, and everything looked so beautiful in the light of Joyce's beach house. I do hope we can do it again, for those who came and those who wish they could have. Thank you Joyce and Sharron for a great afternoon.

      In between papers and snacks we discussed monthly meetings and came up with this:

      October 19th will be at Jill's studio (435 E. Pedregosa, 898-9260). We will have a swap meet and begin the book Pat is masterminding. For the former bring papers, books, rubber stamps, toys, or anything that you are ready to part with. I am making packets of collage material and I keep finding other things to throw in the give away box. For the latter, bring two different kinds of information: resources you have used and like (bring their address, emails, phone #'s etc. as we will be putting this in a book) and tips you have found useful. Pat will collect and print this information after we have generated it over the next few months. If you can't come in person you can email her with your resources and tips. Eventually we will have a bookbinding party and make a dos-a-dos book out of all this wonderful info. To make life really easy for Pat, put your information on 3x5 cards. If you have catalogues or other printed material from places you like this would be a great time to share them.

      November 16th will be a bring-your-project-and-work-on-it meeting. We are not sure of the place. Lisa had agreed to lead this one as she knows this is a busy time for making holiday gifts. Which leads us to

      December. Since the third Saturday is so close to Christmas we were going to cancel the meeting. But then I thought to ask if anyone wanted to add their work to an ornament show I am having in my gallery on Dec. 8th. I am working with artists in other disciplines and hadn't thought of book artist's but when I did I realized how perfect little books and various origami pieces would fit this theme. So if you want to make things and sell them Dec. 8th have them to me by Dec. 7th when we hang the show. And if you want to bring food to share on the 8th I'm sure it will be a party all day.

      See you in October-

    • Pat Baldwin
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29 11:29 PM
        Y'all:

        Let me elaborate on the idea for our group book "Sources &
        Resources/Book Tips and Secrets." In the SOURCES side consider places
        that you get all the different kinds of materials you use in your
        studios for ALL kinds of projects. Suppliers (names, addresses,
        phones, emails and websites etc). Books, periodicals, magazines and
        catalogues, book making centers for teaching. Libraries and museums
        that have good special collections departments.

        In the TIPS & SECRETS side think of all the little tricks you use or
        techniques you've developed for certain effects or results. WORKING
        TIPS & TOOLS could include your favorite tool and how you use it
        differently, how you solve certain working problems with a special
        hand made tool. TECHNIQUES & SPECIAL SYSTEMS can let us in on how you
        solved certain book binding problems or materials you've used in books
        that turned out rather fine. Look around your work place and see what
        you can come up with. Send LOTS of ideas. If they overlap, I'll edit
        them anyhow, since both sides of the dos-a-dos have to come out even.
        Drawings or diagrams illustrating your ideas are welcome to add color
        or comic relief to the book!

        I'd like to do a section on ADHESIVES FOR ARTISTS, but with your input
        on YOUR favorite glue, paste or other adhesive you know about.

        These ideas can be emailed to me any time. Or, you can snail mail them
        to me at: 1505 Buckskin Dr., Santa Maria CA 93454.

        I'll be collecting stuff for the book until the end of the year. Then
        in January we can get a bunch of people to take on the cover material
        (marbled, paste papers, hand painted papers, whatever) for the books.
        When the time comes, we'll take up a collection for the materials we
        will be using. I think, perhaps, by the February meeting we COULD be
        putting the books together. Y'think?

        Patrice

        > For the latter, bring two different kinds of information: resources
        >you have used and like (bring their address, emails, phone #'s etc.
        as >we will be putting this in a book) and tips you have found useful.
        Pat >will collect and print this information after we have generated
        it over >the next few months. If you can't come in person you can
        email her with >your resources and tips. Eventually we will have a
        bookbinding party >and make a dos-a-dos book out of all this wonderful
        info. To make life >really easy for Pat, put your information on 3x5
        cards. If you have >catalogues or other printed material from places
        you like this would be >a great time to share them.
      • Lisa Moore
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8, 2002
          Hi All!

          November 16th will be a
          bring-your-project-and-work-on-it meeting. We need a
          place. I've agreed to facilitate this one, as this is
          a busy time for making holiday gifts, and I need all
          the time I can get to be ready for the holidays! I am
          happy to set-up & clean-up the space. If weather
          permits, we can use Jill's studio, but she'll be
          out-of-town, as will Virginia...

          Jill will make an announcement at this coming meeting
          too, but if someone can spare a room, we'd be
          grateful!

          In Deep Appreciation,
          Lisa (AKA. artboox)

          http://faith.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8, 2002
            If people want to travel to Ventura, I'll be happy to provide my house as
            meeting place.

            From: Lisa Moore <artboox@...>
            To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 6:08 PM
            Subject: [bookartsconnection] We need a meeting space for November 16th!

            >Hi All!
            >
            >November 16th will be a
            >bring-your-project-and-work-on-it meeting. We need a
            >place. I've agreed to facilitate this one, as this is
            >a busy time for making holiday gifts, and I need all
            >the time I can get to be ready for the holidays! I am
            >happy to set-up & clean-up the space. If weather
            >permits, we can use Jill's studio, but she'll be
            >out-of-town, as will Virginia...
            >
            >Jill will make an announcement at this coming meeting
            >too, but if someone can spare a room, we'd be
            >grateful!
            >
            >In Deep Appreciation,
            >Lisa (AKA. artboox)

          • Sara Norquay
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2002
              Hi All!

              I will see if my art room at Crane School is free that day. Let you know
              soon.

              Sara

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 9, 2002
                lisa, I will check to see if the recreationb room in my condo complex is
                available that
                day.
                Gianna

              • Lisa Moore
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 9, 2002
                  Thank you Gianna, Sara & Ines! Let us know about the
                  public spaces you mentioned, as it would be better for
                  me to stay around town. And Ines, I'll give as much
                  warning as possible if we do decide a Ventura meeting
                  is better...

                  Gratefully,
                  Lisa (AKA. artboox)

                  http://faith.yahoo.com
                • paperdance2@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 10, 2002
                    O.K., I've reserved the rec room for Nov l6th; that's good for a few weeks
                    but I will
                    need confirmation about whether or not we deciide to use it. If we do not
                    want it, I need to make it
                    available to others.

                    Helping you all decide is the fact that a $l00.00 deposit is required as well
                    as a l5.00 fee. I will pay the fee....no problem...but I would like people
                    to chip in for the l00.00 deposit. It's for spilled paint, etc and is
                    ENTIRELY REFUNDABLE if the room is not damaged. I use it a lot and NEVER
                    have
                    a problem but I have never painted down there. d I suggest everyone make out
                    a check for 5.00 which can be returned at the end of the meeting
                    if things are fine. Sorry to appear so petty but I don't want to front that
                    myself.

                    So that;s the deal with the rec room, which is in Carpinteria. It's a great
                    room with long tables and a kitchen but it is not an art room, per se so we
                    have to watch it with cutting, paint, etc. Wanted you to know the worst so
                    you can make informed decision.

                    Gianna

                  • Sara Norquay
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 10, 2002
                      Hi Lisa,

                      Oops! I will be at the Painted Monkey Conference in Irvine the weekend of
                      November the 16th. Sorry! I would love to be able to offer Crane - and I
                      will another time.

                      Sara

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 11, 2002
                        I'll be willing to do as suggested

                        From: paperdance2@... <paperdance2@...>
                        To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                        Date: Thursday, October 10, 2002 1:54 PM
                        Subject: Re: [bookartsconnection] Re: meeting space for November 16th

                        >O.K., I've reserved the rec room for Nov l6th; that's good for a few weeks
                        >but I will
                        >need confirmation about whether or not we deciide to use it. If we do not
                        >want it, I need to make it
                        >available to others.
                        >
                        >Helping you all decide is the fact that a $l00.00 deposit is required as
                        well
                        >as a l5.00 fee. I will pay the fee....no problem...but I would like
                        people
                        >to chip in for the l00.00 deposit. It's for spilled paint, etc and is
                        >ENTIRELY REFUNDABLE if the room is not damaged. I use it a lot and NEVER
                        >have
                        >a problem but I have never painted down there. d I suggest everyone make
                        out
                        >a check for 5.00 which can be returned at the end of the meeting
                        >if things are fine. Sorry to appear so petty but I don't want to front
                        that
                        >myself.
                        >
                        >So that;s the deal with the rec room, which is in Carpinteria. It's a
                        great
                        >room with long tables and a kitchen but it is not an art room, per se so we
                        >have to watch it with cutting, paint, etc. Wanted you to know the worst
                        so
                        >you can make informed decision.
                        >
                        >Gianna

                      • Ledig carol
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 11, 2002
                          Im OK with that Carol Ledig
                          --- monguio <monguio@...> wrote:
                          > I'll be willing to do as suggested
                          >
                          > ines

                          http://faith.yahoo.com
                        • Lisa Moore
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 12, 2002
                            Thank you so much Gianna! All that info really helps.
                            Sorry we'll miss seeing you Sara, & Ines I hope we can
                            trek to your studio next year!

                            So, I say let's go with the Rec. Room in Carpinteria.

                            What is the best way, for those not going to the
                            October Swap meeting, to get the $5.00
                            (refundable)deposit checks to you, Gianna?

                            Looking forward to it!
                            Lisa (AKA. artboox)

                            http://faith.yahoo.com
                          • paperdance2@cs.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 13, 2002
                              Just bring your checkbooks to the meeting on Nov. 16th. Thanks for all
                              your cooperation. I know its a drag to write and tear up a check. I
                              appreciate your
                              willingness.

                              Here are directions, which I can post again:

                              l0l So to Linden Exit in Carpinteria.
                              R on Linden to 8th St
                              L on 8th to dead end at charming foot bridge.
                              R into 5455 Singing Springs Condos, underground parking
                              OR
                              Park on Street
                              Rec Room is easily visible from street.

                              Gianna