virus urgent!

  • KL
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
      I read below. I followed the instructions to delete this
      virus--VERY SIMPLE. My computer was infected, even though the
      person I got it from had not sent me an email.
      There is a strong possibility YOU HAVE THIS VIRUS, because I
      did. Please just follow below and do what it says. Sorry--I
      received this innocently as well.

      Please read below.
      I had this virus so it's possible that I passed it right on to
      everybody.
      Sorry about that. The directions in the attachment tell you how
      to remove
      it. It might be wise to continue checking for a few days--since
      we have the
      capability of sending it around and around.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
        Good day all -
        -- This is a hoax - it was posted on McAfee's site in April of 2002. If you do as the message says it will cause problems on your machine.
        -- If you get these messages - usually marked URGENT or similar - check them out first before you pass them along. You can copy the file
        name into Google search engine like this " jdbgmgr.exe " and it will take you to a variety of sites that should reveal it as a hoax very quickly. Or
        you can go to your choice of Virus program's site and check. Or search for virus hoaxes on the internet. The reason it is not found by a virus
        checker is that it is not a virus. It is a part of your Windows system files necessary for operation of the computer - Java in this case.
        -- There are many of these hoaxes around. Spread by those who make access to your system. Lock down the system with a firewall and
        proper settings in your Email program.
        --

        Barry A. Kintner - a2z@...
        A2Z Research & Investigation

        -- Following is the message as copied from McAfees site - http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99436.htm - go there to read further, and for
        restoration instructions for the file if you deleted it.
        --
        AVERT HOAX Notice!!

        McAfee AVERT Labs would like to inform you of a new email HOAX.

        This email message is just a HOAX. Although, the JDBGMGR.EXE file may become infected by a number of valid viruses (most commonly
        W32/Magistr@MM), the details of this HOAX message are not based on actual events.

        We are advising users who receive the email to delete the message and DO NOT pass it on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.

        JDBGMGR.EXE is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java. In the event that this file has already been deleted, see the Removal Instructions on
        how to restore this file.