Workshop with Keith Smith

  • milkyway990
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2002
      Hello Bookmakers,

      I would like to let you know about a special workshop.
      Keith Smith, who has not taught a workshop in Rochester in many
      years,
      along with the always wonderful Scott McCarney will be offering the
      following workshop at Visual Studies Workshop.

      Also...Susan Soleil will be offering a unique or small-edition case
      binding workshop at her studio.
      See our complete Fall schedule and registration info at
      http://www.vsw.org/education/evecatalogfall02.html
      Regards, Joan Lyons

      SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 21?22; 9:30-4:30pm
      KEITH SMITH and SCOTT McCARNEY
      A LEATHER BINDING AND DROP SPINE BOOK BOX WORKSHOP

      DAY ONE: Participants will make one 5-section alternating long-stitch
      book with Keith. This is a hard cover, quarter-leather binding with
      leather hinge that requires no paste, glue or special equipment. It
      is
      an original binding devised by Keith for his soon to be published
      book-on-books, Quick Leather Bindings, Non-Adhesive Binding Volume V.
      Leather will be supplied.

      DAY TWO: Scott will teach participants how to design and construct a
      drop-spine, cloth covered box tailored to the quarter leather binding
      made with Keith.

      Students should supply scissors, bone folder, small metal straight
      edge,
      #11 X-Acto knife (or equivalent), pencil, ruler, wax paper, water
      sprayer, sponge, small towel.

      KEITH SMITH has made 213 books since 1967. Forty-seven of these have
      been self-published, including eight textbooks on books, Structure of
      the Visual Book; Text in the Book Format; and Non-Adhesive Binding,
      Volumes I, II, III and IV; Bookbinding for Book Artists; and 200
      Books.
      Smith has received two Guggenheim Fellowships, an NEA in
      Photography, a
      New York State grant in Literature, and other grants. In 2002 he
      received the Pollock/Kranser grant for drawing with photograph. His
      work
      is in the collections of the Museums of Modern Art of New York and
      San
      Francisco. Other museums include the Library of Congress, the
      Victoria
      and Albert, Bibliotheque Nationale, and the Tokyo Metropolitan
      Museum of
      Photography.

      SCOTT McCARNEY is an artist/designer who makes one-of-a-kind and
      editioned books integrating physical structures of bindings with book
      design. Scott completed a second lecture/teaching tour of Australia
      in
      the spring of 2001. He is the recipient of a Saltonstall Fellowship
      for
      Photography, and was honored with a retrospective exhibition at the
      Arts
      of the Book Collection at Yale University.

      --
      Joan Lyons
      Visual Studies Workshop, 31 Prince Street