Re: [bookartsconnection] First Birthday Celebration for us!

  • lolomama@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 20, 2002
      Thanks, Jill. You are an angel. I love your ideas! I teach poetry in a
      couple of SB's elementary schools and would love to bring some book arts
      ideas to that work. Also, do you know about the South Coast Wrtiters'
      Project? It is an organization that trains teachers how to teach writing
      (particularly creative writing). It would be wonderful to do a joint workshop
      with them, or a workshop for them. I know a few contact people there when
      the time comes. Best regards and thanks for making our birthday a
      celebration of imagination and fun, Lois Klein

    • sally timlin
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 20, 2002
        Hi all!
        Labor Day is almost here and you know what that
        means...Adult Ed. begins once again! I just wanted to
        remind you all about Book Art Creations a.k.a.
        beginning book arts. First class is Friday, Sept. 13th
        from 9-12 at the Schott Center. I know that for those
        of you who have taken the class before you may be
        tempted to skip the first class but if you've got the
        time we could really use your presence at the first
        one or two classes in order to ensure that we continue
        for the rest of the quarter. Several of my faithful
        (and delightfully entertaining!) students will be out
        of town on a big trip and will miss the first two
        classes. So please come and drag your friends...bring
        your newest creations to share...and I will be sure to
        have a special, exciting project for the first class!
        Thanks!
        Sally

        P.S. Adult Ed. may allow me to teach Advanced Book
        Arts in the winter quarter if space becomes available.
        Will keep you posted!

        =====

        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
        http://www.hotjobs.com
      • sally timlin
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 20, 2002
          Oh, and yes, I do realize that our first class is on
          Friday the 13th! Go ahead, live a little, and come
          anyways! :o)

          =====

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 21, 2002
            In a message dated 8/20/02 10:26:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            artgirl68@... writes:

            > P.S. Adult Ed. may allow me to teach Advanced Book
            > Arts in the winter quarter if space becomes available.
            > Will keep you posted!

            Way cool!!! See you on the 13th! Hope you had a good summer. Best, Lois
            Klein

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 21, 2002
              Jill. You are amazing. I love your ideas.
              re anouncements: i tend to go towards keeping it book art related. but of course, any art form could be related to book art. how fun it could be if one of us is a dancer, and he/she shares that with us (concept, development, performance....) to see what could be incorporated into someone else's book? That gets my mouth watering!

              I am still mad for missing Pat's meeting. SO looking forward to it.... I read the messages of those who attended and i get mad/sad all over again. I have good envy for all of you.

              When and where are we meeting next?

              From: Jill Littlewood <jill@...>
              To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 1:41 PM
              Subject: [bookartsconnection] First Birthday Celebration for us!

              Happy Birthday to us! August 26th is the one-year anniversary of the Book Arts Connection for the central coast. A year and three months ago this was just an idea being tossed about over baguettes and omelets at Mousse Odile by Pam Maines, Jackie Woods and myself. Now, because of the gift of email and the knowledge of Karen Thomas, we are a connected group with sixty-seven members. Hurrah!

              Although I wasn't thinking of it at the time, it was a fitting birthday party to spend four hours last Saturday at Pat Baldwin's new studio in Santa Maria. For her it was a milestone as well; a year ago she introduced herself to the Santa Barbara community and said she wanted to create art events here. She hoped Pequeno Press would be up and running quickly, along with her classes and workshops. A year must seem an eternity of construction, but now it is open. And it's fabulous! We were treated to a dozen or so stations where we could try things - papermaking, marbling, paste papers, fimo, new pattern making gizmos, and more. We also met Lucy, Pat's intern, who helped us assemble a witty pop-up book she and Pat had designed for this event. Pat explained several weekend workshops she is ready to present, as well as a collaborative book project she is proposing for our group. She will post details soon. Pat and Lucy, thank you so much for such a wonderful opening.

              On a somewhat different subject, I want everyone to know that Karen Thomas has been keeping our email running smoothly and has been curtailing people with questionable intentions. She does this before we receive their rude or vulgar contributions, so her work is invisible and thereby unappreciated. We can fix that: THANK YOU KAREN!

              The conversation about what was appropriate led to one about announcements and I think this is a subject we might want to toss around. At one end of the spectrum is keeping the news strictly book arts related. A slightly different approach would be to say that any member is welcome to talk about other arts-related events they are involved in. This would be a way of getting to know one another and make this a somewhat broader arts related email. Suggestions? Comments?

              I am girding my loins (however one does that) to move my machinery around and make room for the letterpress John Balkwill has so graciously donated to us. I am rethinking the gallery, the wet and dry rooms, and a space to spread out my work. I am considering naming this new enterprise Book, Paper, Letters. The direction of this studio is still revealing itself to me but I see classes, speakers, workshops and community outreach in the future. I want to do book arts but I also want to train teachers so book and paper arts infuse school curriculums. I also want to use book arts to teach literacy, since it seems like a natural and fun way to involve someone who is hesitant to experiment with words and reading.

              Which brings me to the lecture I went to in San Francisco way back in July. It was given by Paul Johnson, a delightful Englishman who brought an astonishing collection of his own pop-up creations. The size of his work ranges from miniature to as big as his arms held out. I'm afraid only pictures could begin to convey the playfulness of his books. I had gone to hear about the work he does with kids, and this was briefly covered - enough to reconfirm my belief that book arts is the perfect tool to hook people into making stories live. Instead of a one-page sheet of lined paper, which is graded and then put in a notebook, Paul showed us a story on a sheet of paper that flipped and turned and had openings for the character to go through. He said he had found that students used language of more sophistication and told stories of greater complexity when using a multi-layered vehicle. Everything he showed was made from 8 ½ x 11 sheets of paper, sometimes regular typing paper and sometimes watercolor stock he provided. I would love to try using his examples to help teachers invigorate their classroom writing projects.

              The San Francisco Center for the Book hosted this lecture so I got to see their new digs. Wow. Something to model ourselves on. The only thing I would add to my center would be a zany part similar to Art From Scrap, with plenty of wacky stuff to give the distinct sense that play is also a path.

              Play, birthdays, celebrations -okay, everybody hum: Happy Birthday to us, and many more.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • paperdance2@cs.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 22, 2002
                Jill, all your ideas are wonderful. Yes to everything!!! I would especially
                like to be
                your partner in bringing bookart to teachers so they can use it to teach kids
                to read. It's PERFECT. In fact, consider me a willing assistant for any
                project you dream up.
                Gianna

              • patbooks2000
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002
                  JeezLouise has it been a whole YEAR!!!??!! Well, time flies when
                  you're having remodeling by idiots done. Ahhhhh, that's all over now.
                  Thank you all for helping me celebrate the new studio/bindery.

                  I'm planning on scheduling particular dates for some workshops - like:
                  "Eccentric Contemporary Book Structures"
                  "Who's Afraid of Leather?"
                  "Making Multiples - Paper casting"
                  "Boxes & Slipcases"
                  "Japanese Rechoso Binding"
                  "Papermaking 101"
                  and many more...

                  These will be small groups (well, you know the size of my studio) of
                  probably 6 to 8 people max, but can be repeated if there's a larger
                  sign-up. Here's the question: If I did these on a Saturday, would you
                  come? Sunday better? Weekday? Let me know what you think. I want to
                  make them accessable to the most people.

                  Patrice

                  > " Although I wasn't thinking of it at the time, it was a fitting
                  >birthday party to spend four hours last Saturday at Pat Baldwin's new
                  >studio in Santa Maria. For her it was a milestone as well; a year
                  ago >she introduced herself to the Santa Barbara community and said
                  she >wanted to create art events here. She hoped Pequeno Press would
                  be up >and running quickly, along with her classes and workshops. A
                  year must >seem an eternity of construction, but now it is open. And
                  it's >fabulous! We were treated to a dozen or so stations where we
                  could try >things - papermaking, marbling, paste papers, fimo, new
                  pattern making >gizmos, and more. We also met Lucy, Pat's intern, who
                  helped us >assemble a witty pop-up book she and Pat had designed for
                  this event. >Pat explained several weekend workshops she is ready to
                  present, as >well as a collaborative book project she is proposing for
                  our group. >She will post details soon. Pat and Lucy, thank you so
                  much for such a >wonderful opening."
                • Donna Barna
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002
                    Pat - Weekends are great!!
                    Donna B.
                    patbooks2000
                    wrote:JeezLouise has it been a whole YEAR!!!??!! Well, time flies when

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30, 2002
                      This is a note for Karen Thomas. Karen, about 4 days ago I went to
                      Yahoogroups.com and changed my email address from lolomama@... to
                      lois.klein@.... I still get mail from the group at my old aol
                      address, which soon will be defunct. Any advice for me??

                    • Karen Thomas
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31, 2002
                        Lois,

                        I don't see your new email address in your member
                        profile for some reason. Hmmm, I am scratching my head
                        here...
                        To resolve this, you may want to leave the group in
                        the "edit my membership options" and rejoin with your
                        new email address.
                        Hope this helps.

                        Your faithful moderator,
                        Karen

                        =====
                        "Art takes my mind off my hair"http://www.karenelaine.com

                        http://finance.yahoo.com
                      • Lisa Moore
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
                          Lois & Karen,

                          I beleive I had to change my member profile email info
                          at the group website as well as at the Yahoo!Groups
                          site...
                          Lisa (AKA. artboox)

                          http://finance.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 9, 2003
                            Dear Lois,

                            I have been meaning to chat with you about the South Coast Writers' Project.
                            I have heard the name but I have no clear image of who they are or what they
                            do. I would love to talk to you on the phone to get a better picture of
                            them and then brainstorm joint projects. Will you call me? 898 -9260

                            Thanks, Jill