Apprenticeship Open

  • patbooks2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2002
      I now have a 4 month vacancy for an apprentice at Waterleaf Mill &
      Bindery. Lucy was homesick. This apprenticeship runs from September 1
      to December 15th, 2002. If anyone is interested, or knows of someone
      who might be interested, please email or phone me. Here is the basic
      information for my apprenticeships:

      WATERLEAF MILL & BINDERY and PEQUEÑO PRESS offer traditional
      apprenticeships to those interested in learning the techniques of
      papermaking, marbling and bookbinding; also the process of limited
      edition book production and the ins and outs of running a small
      business. The position is unpaid, and we don't charge for training.
      Apprentices are expected to assist on any project in the studio,
      whether it's the papermaker's helper or marbling chemical mixer or
      whatever, there's a lot to learn by doing. Working in the bindery
      consists of boxmaking, binding the limited editions we produce (we
      specialize in miniature books) and learning about book design.
      Apprentices do some ordinary chores in the studio, like providing
      assistance with promotional mailings and advertising flyers. Work
      hours are from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm five days a week, and time before
      and after work and on weekends is for private projects the apprentice
      is expected to produce. All studio equipment and machinery is at their
      disposal (not including paper, paints and dyes, etc - the 'used up'
      things must be supplied or paid for). The training here is usually on
      a one-to-one basis unless we are holding a group workshop. Assisting
      in workshops is also one of the duties of the apprentice, however MOST
      OF THE TIME bookbinding will be the PRIMARY occupation.

      Our extensive studio library will be available as well as workshop
      notes and handouts for the various techniques. Apprentices are
      encouraged to take advantage of these during off-hours.

      To apply, write me about yourself, your education, interests, work
      experience and reasons for your wanting to learn book arts.

      I'd also like to see some samples of photos of any work you've done in
      the recent past. Since this is an unpaid position, you should
      carefully consider your income or financial assistance. I offer a
      fully equipped apartment behind the bindery for apprentices at a very
      nominal rent. A car is necessary to get around town, unless you can
      deal with the bus schedule. I require a two month minimum term. Most
      apprentices stay from three to six months so they're able to take full
      advantage of the experiences we have to offer.

      Contact Patrice Baldwin
      (805)352-0202
      patbooks@...