Bookbinding classes in Los Angeles

  • Diana
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2011
      Charlene Matthews
      Bindery
      5720 Melrose Avenue
      LA CA 90038
      323-962-2109

      Time to Bind.

      SPRING CLASSES/WORKSHOPS 2011

      Classes are on Saturdays from 11am to 4-5pm. Each class is $140.00 (no lab fee) To reserve a class, a deposit of $70. is required (check made out to Charlene Matthews.) Refunds are only honored if cancelled one week prior. Please bring a box lunch or eat take-away from Astro Burger across the street. Coffee supplied, just bring your own cup. There is plenty of parking in the back.

      Classes are limited to 4-5 students. Beginners are welcome, experienced students are encouraged to go beyond the class agenda, and use my bindery equipment as needed. Bring tools if you have them, please put your name on them.

      Also, if you are working on pages for a book, and just need direction on how to bind it, bring your pages to any class. You do not have to do the same binding as everyone else.
      ALL CLASSES ARE SUBJECT TO YOUR WHIM. Collage, extra sewing, strange holes, devises, and plain old binding are encouraged.

      Clamshell boxes. March 19, 2011
      An elegant way to house fragile books, photographs and special objects.
      Two boxes will be made. The first one will be pre-cut, the size of a deck of cards. The second one will be cut by yourself, in order to understand the process. Bring a small book or object for the second box.

      Exposed Spine Coptic binding. April 9, 2011
      A sewn binding, with heavy weight art paper signatures, sewn onto vellum thongs, laced onto self decorated boards. We will do two bindings. The first will be basic, the second will incorporate headbands as you sew the spine.

      Beginning Fine Binding. April 30, 2011
      Blank signatures, sewn onto recessed laces, laced into cover boards, and then covered in a nice book cloth. Various types of endpaper treatments and headbands will be overviewed. If you are familiar with a Sharfix, leather for spine and corners will be available.

      Beginning book restoration. Or- Book alteration. May 21, 2011
      Please discuss this with me on enrolling. BUT, please do not think to bring a book in five or six pieces, we are really just working on disjointed spines, hinges and basic paper repair. If you are interested in taking apart books for alteration, this class will work for you too.