Charles Hobson at UCSB

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2010
      In conjunction with the UCSB Library's celebration of the acquisition
      of its 3 millionth volume, a reception and exhibit opening are
      scheduled on Wed. Nov. 10, from 5-7. In addition, book artist
      Charles Hobson (www.charleshobson.com) will be speaking from 4-5 pm
      at the UCen. For more info, contact yhowze@... or call
      805-893-5509.

      Pam
    • Elena Mary Siff
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2010
        What fun those paper ornaments are..the music on the utube was hysterical...wish I could see the Xmas display..take photos, Jill!

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
          I will be happy to give some specifics about the art projects at Fishbon's
          Xmas tree fair as soon as there is a schedule.

          Lori, it is so nice to have a link to what you are doing in Ojai. I will be
          in Ojai on November 20th because there is a letterpress group just starting
          up and the convener is Norman Clayton of Classic Letterpress in Ojai. Since
          it is the first meeting and several printers have just moved to the area I
          will tell them about Made in Ojai.

        • Sharon Engel
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
            Hi Jill,

            Your email peaked our interest when you mentioned Letterpress in Ojai.
            My husband, Andy and I are interested in Letterpress, so we're curious
            about this group you mentioned that is starting up.
            Who are the participants....Master Printers?

            As I'm mentioning this to Andy, he is interested to know what you did
            with the Last Rites cabinet that he gave you?

            Any info on the letterpress group would be appreciated.

            Thanks,
            Sharon and Andy Engel
            Ojai

            On Nov 7, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Jill Littlewood wrote:

            > I will be happy to give some specifics about the art projects at
            > Fishbon's
            > Xmas tree fair as soon as there is a schedule.
            >

            > Lori, it is so nice to have a link to what you are doing in Ojai. I
            > will be
            > in Ojai on November 20th because there is a letterpress group just
            > starting
            > up and the convener is Norman Clayton of Classic Letterpress in
            > Ojai. Since
            > it is the first meeting and several printers have just moved to the
            > area I
            > will tell them about Made in Ojai.
            >

            > Jill

          • Lori Z
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
              Hi, Jill. Not being a "letterpress person," I'm not acquainted with Norman, but I love hearing about all these creative things going on.

              And I appreciate you spreading the word about Made in Ojai! We just had our second book arts show on Saturday and it was really great. We just do it for a few hours, and it's mostly me and one other artist, but between us we have a LOT of art journals, round robin books, altered books, and handmade books. We had a station for beginning your own altered book, along with refreshments and wonderful live music.

              We are planning to do it again in conjunction with a new citywide event in March called WordFest. It's going to be a week-long book and author's fair, with workshops and events. I'll post more info about that here when I have it. Right now, you can go here for the basics: http://ojaiwordfest.blogspot.com

              Roberta Raye, the owner of Made in Ojai, is the originator of this idea and one of the event's coodinators. Norman may already know about it, but I'll give her his name just in case.

              We have a NEW web site for the store too: http://madeinojai.com/, as well as a facebook page where we announce events and such.

              So, that's probably more info than you wanted, but you asked for it!

              ;-)

              Lori

              --- In bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com, "Jill Littlewood" <jill@...> wrote:

              > I will be happy to give some specifics about the art projects at Fishbon's
              > Xmas tree fair as soon as there is a schedule.
              >

              > Lori, it is so nice to have a link to what you are doing in Ojai. I will be
              > in Ojai on November 20th because there is a letterpress group just starting
              > up and the convener is Norman Clayton of Classic Letterpress in Ojai. Since
              > it is the first meeting and several printers have just moved to the area I
              > will tell them about Made in Ojai.
              >

              > Jill

            • Lori Z
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                  Hi Sharon,

                  I haven't done anything but appreciate the wonderful cabinet from you guys.
                  It is all part of the larger Cabinet of Curiosities, which has a way of
                  growing so large as an idea that I don't know where to begin. I am still
                  gathering.

                  I don't know what the inclusion boundaries are for this letterpress group.
                  The original invitees all went to the LA Printers Fair - you can get a taste
                  of that by going to the website of the International Printing Museum:
                  www.printmuseum.org <http://www.printmuseum.org/> . To see the Fair in
                  action, go to this YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGx9KtxH7QQ The
                  best thing would be to ask Norman Clayton of Classic Letterpress:
                  letterpress@...