paper ornaments

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      Fishbon is a collaborative arts group here in Santa Barbara and they are
      going to do a wonderful, crazy Xmas tree farm this year on the weekend of
      December 10, 11, and 12. It will be at 46 Helena St. one block from Stearns
      Warf. The trees will be cut from wood in cool patterns - flames and such
      since a lot of these folks go to burning man - and they will also have their
      annual Santa Con event with costumes you never knew Santas dressed in
      (http://www.independent.com/news/2008/dec/24/fishbons-art-participatory-cele
      bration/). To decorate the trees I'm working up some ideas that use paper:
      kirigami (http://rhodiadrive.com/2007/11/13/kirigami/), quilling, origami,
      and others. I thought this paper snow flake might be of interest to this
      group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ausJdGcgs0k
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ausJdGcgs0k&feature=player_embedded>
      &feature=player_embedded

      I am also going to be doing a doll/puppet thing that has always been
      successful, this time using the holiday theme. It is so simple it is
      magical: cross two sticks together and wrap them so they don't move too
      much. Now start putting fabric and broken jewelry parts on. I am always
      amazed at how this simple beginning gives permission to go in any direction:
      if you are a seven year old boy, it becomes a super-hero with the addition
      of a cape. If you are a girl, a crown or wings is all you need to be a
      fairy princess. My daughter and I used to make these dolls in the field by
      crossing two sticks, wrapping with grass, and adding acorn heads, moss hair,
      stone jewelry, and pod bodies. The folks at Fishbon made some bizarre and
      wondrous things and thought this workshop was one of the best ever. At
      Arrowmont recently I had a table of fabric and paper and some glittery stuff
      and people were off and running: one woman did a dragon it took her three
      days to finish while others turned out several doll/puppet beings in an
      hour.

      If you are local and want to give me scraps of fabric and broken watches,
      jewelry, etc. that would be great. I have enough paper for all the things I
      want to do, but if you have ideas for paper ornaments please pass them on to
      all of us.

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2010
        Thanks Jill for the interesting info. I love the snowflake and will make
        some with my daughter this year. Come say Hi to me at the beach show in SB
        if you are ever down there on a Sunday.

        With peace and love, Carol

        faceaday.blogspot.com

        artclinic.blogspot.com

        www.lifsart.etsy.com

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2010
          Wow, Jill. This is fantastic information!

          We do a monthly free art activity for customers out in front of Made in Ojai (http://www.madeinojai.com) and the stick dolls would be just perfect for us!

          And those snowflakes are gorgeous. We also teach customers to make the cut paper snowflakes every Sunday in December, but these would be fantastic for decorating the store.

          Can you please post a reminder about the Xmas tree farm when it gets a bit closer? I want to go but there's so much going on right now that I'm afraid I'll forget about it. ;-)

          Thanks,

          Lori

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2010
            In conjunction with the UCSB Library's celebration of the acquisition
            of its 3 millionth volume, a reception and exhibit opening are
            scheduled on Wed. Nov. 10, from 5-7. In addition, book artist
            Charles Hobson (www.charleshobson.com) will be speaking from 4-5 pm
            at the UCen. For more info, contact yhowze@... or call
            805-893-5509.

            Pam
          • Elena Mary Siff
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2010
              What fun those paper ornaments are..the music on the utube was hysterical...wish I could see the Xmas display..take photos, Jill!

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
                I will be happy to give some specifics about the art projects at Fishbon's
                Xmas tree fair as soon as there is a schedule.

                Lori, it is so nice to have a link to what you are doing in Ojai. I will be
                in Ojai on November 20th because there is a letterpress group just starting
                up and the convener is Norman Clayton of Classic Letterpress in Ojai. Since
                it is the first meeting and several printers have just moved to the area I
                will tell them about Made in Ojai.

              • Sharon Engel
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
                  Hi Jill,

                  Your email peaked our interest when you mentioned Letterpress in Ojai.
                  My husband, Andy and I are interested in Letterpress, so we're curious
                  about this group you mentioned that is starting up.
                  Who are the participants....Master Printers?

                  As I'm mentioning this to Andy, he is interested to know what you did
                  with the Last Rites cabinet that he gave you?

                  Any info on the letterpress group would be appreciated.

                  Thanks,
                  Sharon and Andy Engel
                  Ojai

                  On Nov 7, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Jill Littlewood wrote:

                  > I will be happy to give some specifics about the art projects at
                  > Fishbon's
                  > Xmas tree fair as soon as there is a schedule.
                  >

                  > Lori, it is so nice to have a link to what you are doing in Ojai. I
                  > will be
                  > in Ojai on November 20th because there is a letterpress group just
                  > starting
                  > up and the convener is Norman Clayton of Classic Letterpress in
                  > Ojai. Since
                  > it is the first meeting and several printers have just moved to the
                  > area I
                  > will tell them about Made in Ojai.
                  >

                  > Jill

                • Lori Z
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                    Hi, Jill. Not being a "letterpress person," I'm not acquainted with Norman, but I love hearing about all these creative things going on.

                    And I appreciate you spreading the word about Made in Ojai! We just had our second book arts show on Saturday and it was really great. We just do it for a few hours, and it's mostly me and one other artist, but between us we have a LOT of art journals, round robin books, altered books, and handmade books. We had a station for beginning your own altered book, along with refreshments and wonderful live music.

                    We are planning to do it again in conjunction with a new citywide event in March called WordFest. It's going to be a week-long book and author's fair, with workshops and events. I'll post more info about that here when I have it. Right now, you can go here for the basics: http://ojaiwordfest.blogspot.com

                    Roberta Raye, the owner of Made in Ojai, is the originator of this idea and one of the event's coodinators. Norman may already know about it, but I'll give her his name just in case.

                    We have a NEW web site for the store too: http://madeinojai.com/, as well as a facebook page where we announce events and such.

                    So, that's probably more info than you wanted, but you asked for it!

                    ;-)

                    Lori

                    --- In bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com, "Jill Littlewood" <jill@...> wrote:

                    > I will be happy to give some specifics about the art projects at Fishbon's
                    > Xmas tree fair as soon as there is a schedule.
                    >

                    > Lori, it is so nice to have a link to what you are doing in Ojai. I will be
                    > in Ojai on November 20th because there is a letterpress group just starting
                    > up and the convener is Norman Clayton of Classic Letterpress in Ojai. Since
                    > it is the first meeting and several printers have just moved to the area I
                    > will tell them about Made in Ojai.
                    >

                    > Jill

                  • Lori Z
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                        Hi Sharon,

                        I haven't done anything but appreciate the wonderful cabinet from you guys.
                        It is all part of the larger Cabinet of Curiosities, which has a way of
                        growing so large as an idea that I don't know where to begin. I am still
                        gathering.

                        I don't know what the inclusion boundaries are for this letterpress group.
                        The original invitees all went to the LA Printers Fair - you can get a taste
                        of that by going to the website of the International Printing Museum:
                        www.printmuseum.org <http://www.printmuseum.org/> . To see the Fair in
                        action, go to this YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGx9KtxH7QQ The
                        best thing would be to ask Norman Clayton of Classic Letterpress:
                        letterpress@...