Re: [bookartsconnection] I like this journal making book

  • Jeanette Mustacich
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31 11:15 PM
      This is great, Jill--I love her blog. But I can't find where you're reading
      any of the book on the amazon listing--? What are you up to this summer?

      Jeanette

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2010
        To answer Jeanette's question about where I could read parts of "How to be
        an Explorer of the World": look under the picture of the book on Amazon
        where it says "search this book". They have put up long sections - just
        scroll down.

        What I am doing this summer is making paper for shrouds - my next political
        piece. Paper. Life size. Haven't figured it all out but I am working on a
        long project about Descent. I have done a lot of things since I was showing
        "Death and Other Lives" and I kept thinking I didn't want to go back to the
        theme of death. I don't want to be the Doyenne of Death. But nothing else
        speaks so loudly to me. Every time I see a picture in the paper of a person
        in a shroud or a coffin I think about what a reckless, endless war this is
        and how much suffering it has caused. So I am putting that into sculpture.

        I am also going to Korea to the International Hand Papermaking conference:
        showing my work and giving a talk. I've never been to the Pacific Rim so I
        am excited. I am especially pleased to be going to a country where I can't
        read the signage. Something about being surrounded by lettering in
        characters I can't decipher makes me giddy with curiosity. I guess once you
        fall in love with letters you fall in love with all the graphic
        representations: not being able to "read" the words I will have to use other
        senses, like de-coding, to make sense of what I am seeing. Or I will just
        hang out in the splendor of being in the middle of signs. Can't say I felt
        that way in Las Vegas recently: I went with my husband because he was
        nominated for an Emmy for "All My Children". What a sorry mess it is. I
        remember loving the cacophony of it all, the visual circus. But I can't
        find that any more: it is just corporate logo land, like any theme park. A
        wasteful desert in a desert.

        What are other people doing? I've been curious forever about our silent
        group - who is out there and what are you doing?

      • Sara Norquay
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2010
          I'm making felt. See my blog: http://www.slnorquay.blogspot.com/Sara