I like this journal making book

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
      How to be an Explorer of the World by Keri Smith. You can read a lot of it
      on the Amazon site. Check out the bibliography at the end.years of good
      stuff there.

      http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Explorer-World-Portable/dp/0399534601/ref=sr_1_
      1?s=books
      <http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Explorer-World-Portable/dp/0399534601/ref=sr_1
      _1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280638545&sr=1-1#reader_0399534601>
      &ie=UTF8&qid=1280638545&sr=1-1#reader_0399534601

      I'm not doing much with journals right now but I like to store away ideas
      for when the passion rises again.

    • Jeanette Mustacich
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
        This is great, Jill--I love her blog. But I can't find where you're reading
        any of the book on the amazon listing--? What are you up to this summer?

        Jeanette

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 1:20 AM
          To answer Jeanette's question about where I could read parts of "How to be
          an Explorer of the World": look under the picture of the book on Amazon
          where it says "search this book". They have put up long sections - just
          scroll down.

          What I am doing this summer is making paper for shrouds - my next political
          piece. Paper. Life size. Haven't figured it all out but I am working on a
          long project about Descent. I have done a lot of things since I was showing
          "Death and Other Lives" and I kept thinking I didn't want to go back to the
          theme of death. I don't want to be the Doyenne of Death. But nothing else
          speaks so loudly to me. Every time I see a picture in the paper of a person
          in a shroud or a coffin I think about what a reckless, endless war this is
          and how much suffering it has caused. So I am putting that into sculpture.

          I am also going to Korea to the International Hand Papermaking conference:
          showing my work and giving a talk. I've never been to the Pacific Rim so I
          am excited. I am especially pleased to be going to a country where I can't
          read the signage. Something about being surrounded by lettering in
          characters I can't decipher makes me giddy with curiosity. I guess once you
          fall in love with letters you fall in love with all the graphic
          representations: not being able to "read" the words I will have to use other
          senses, like de-coding, to make sense of what I am seeing. Or I will just
          hang out in the splendor of being in the middle of signs. Can't say I felt
          that way in Las Vegas recently: I went with my husband because he was
          nominated for an Emmy for "All My Children". What a sorry mess it is. I
          remember loving the cacophony of it all, the visual circus. But I can't
          find that any more: it is just corporate logo land, like any theme park. A
          wasteful desert in a desert.

          What are other people doing? I've been curious forever about our silent
          group - who is out there and what are you doing?

        • Sara Norquay
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4 7:57 PM
            I'm making felt. See my blog: http://www.slnorquay.blogspot.com/Sara