Book Arts show at UCLA

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
      I just received the flyer on "SO CALled Books: Diversity in Artists'
      Books from Southern California", the show curated by Gloria Helfgott.
      It will be in the lobby of the Young Research Library at UCLA from
      July 15-August 31. The opening reception is Friday, July 19, from
      6-8 pm. If you'd like to attend, RSVP to 310/825-1201. In addition,
      a panel discussion on current trends in artsits' books will be held
      Thursday, July 18 from 2-4 pm at GSEIS111. Panelists include LA book
      artist Susan King ("Redressing the Sixties," "(art) lessons a la
      mode," etc.), Stefan Kliman (art librarian and author of a book about
      book arts) and Edwina Leggett, owner of Califia Books in S.F. They
      hope to add a fourth panelist. If you want to attend, call Dawn
      Henney at 310/206-2868. Parking for both events is in Lot 3 and
      costs $7.

    • sally timlin
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
        Hi Linda,
        I hope Emily doesn't mind but I thought I'd respond to
        your posting since I took this class at the SF Center
        for the Book. I would say you should definitely have
        something in mind ...either a book to alter or a box
        which will incorporate both sound and light. Hooshang
        is a very nice teacher although he's not a book artist
        so be prepared to learn a great deal about electricity
        but not books. :o)
        Sally

        =====

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Linda Snook
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
          Hi Sally,

          Thanks for your message. That is very helpful in terms
          of my conceptualization process! Excellent information.

          Best,
          Linda

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
            Just got the message that the class will be not so much about books but about electric wiring. i'm not as interested as i was before. sorry. but let me know if i am the eight.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
              Hi Ines,
              Please don't let me scare you away from attending. I
              certainly found the information to be helpful as a
              book and assemblage artist and I had a fun time too!
              Sally

              =====

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
                Thanks, sally. i'm just affraid that i will dedicate a full weekend to a workshop and end up not wanting to use the info. time and energy are at such a premium lately! can't wait to retire.
                From: sally timlin <artgirl68@...>
                To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 8:32 PM

                =====