Re: [bookartsconnection] DETAILS - Electric Book Class

  • sally timlin
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
      Lois,
      You can see the results at the makeup class at my
      house since I went to his workshop at the SF Center
      for the Book. :o) Sally

      --- lolomama@... wrote:
      > This sounds wonderful, but not in my budget right
      > now. I hope you get eight
      > folks, as I would love to see/hear the results!
      > Best, Lois Klein

      > removed]

      =====

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Linda Snook
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
        Dear Emily,

        The workshop sounds very creative. Thanks for arranging it. However, after
        reading some on-line information describing his classes in Portland, I am
        beginning to think that to get the most out of the workshop I would need to
        bring a developed concept to the class. Is this your experience? I have
        searched the net for more information and especially images of the artist's
        (and students) work so that I can have a basis for brainstorming ideas and
        concepts.

        Another question: Where will the class be held?

        Thanks again,
        Linda

      • emnemnem
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
          you don't have to have a finished concept but if you do he can help
          you with the specifics. as i said, for example, he had one student
          put the sound chip in a barbie doll and when the doll's arm was
          raised the sound played. that is specific. however, you could just
          learn the process and then apply it. the workship is going to be in
          the meeting room of a senior housing complex on the corner of Laguna
          and DeLaGuerra in Santa Barbara.
          emily

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Linda Snook
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
              I just received the flyer on "SO CALled Books: Diversity in Artists'
              Books from Southern California", the show curated by Gloria Helfgott.
              It will be in the lobby of the Young Research Library at UCLA from
              July 15-August 31. The opening reception is Friday, July 19, from
              6-8 pm. If you'd like to attend, RSVP to 310/825-1201. In addition,
              a panel discussion on current trends in artsits' books will be held
              Thursday, July 18 from 2-4 pm at GSEIS111. Panelists include LA book
              artist Susan King ("Redressing the Sixties," "(art) lessons a la
              mode," etc.), Stefan Kliman (art librarian and author of a book about
              book arts) and Edwina Leggett, owner of Califia Books in S.F. They
              hope to add a fourth panelist. If you want to attend, call Dawn
              Henney at 310/206-2868. Parking for both events is in Lot 3 and
              costs $7.

            • sally timlin
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                Hi Linda,
                I hope Emily doesn't mind but I thought I'd respond to
                your posting since I took this class at the SF Center
                for the Book. I would say you should definitely have
                something in mind ...either a book to alter or a box
                which will incorporate both sound and light. Hooshang
                is a very nice teacher although he's not a book artist
                so be prepared to learn a great deal about electricity
                but not books. :o)
                Sally

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                  Hi Sally,

                  Thanks for your message. That is very helpful in terms
                  of my conceptualization process! Excellent information.

                  Best,
                  Linda

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                    Just got the message that the class will be not so much about books but about electric wiring. i'm not as interested as i was before. sorry. but let me know if i am the eight.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                      Hi Ines,
                      Please don't let me scare you away from attending. I
                      certainly found the information to be helpful as a
                      book and assemblage artist and I had a fun time too!
                      Sally

                      =====

                      http://sbc.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
                        Thanks, sally. i'm just affraid that i will dedicate a full weekend to a workshop and end up not wanting to use the info. time and energy are at such a premium lately! can't wait to retire.
                        From: sally timlin <artgirl68@...>
                        To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                        Date: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 8:32 PM

                        =====