Re: DETAILS - Electric Book Class

  • methylethyle
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
      Hi, Emily: Count me in, too! I'll send you a check today. Thanks so much for
      organizing this...

      Margy Houtz
    • sally timlin
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
        Lois,
        You can see the results at the makeup class at my
        house since I went to his workshop at the SF Center
        for the Book. :o) Sally

        --- lolomama@... wrote:
        > This sounds wonderful, but not in my budget right
        > now. I hope you get eight
        > folks, as I would love to see/hear the results!
        > Best, Lois Klein

        > removed]

        =====

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Linda Snook
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
          Dear Emily,

          The workshop sounds very creative. Thanks for arranging it. However, after
          reading some on-line information describing his classes in Portland, I am
          beginning to think that to get the most out of the workshop I would need to
          bring a developed concept to the class. Is this your experience? I have
          searched the net for more information and especially images of the artist's
          (and students) work so that I can have a basis for brainstorming ideas and
          concepts.

          Another question: Where will the class be held?

          Thanks again,
          Linda

        • emnemnem
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
            you don't have to have a finished concept but if you do he can help
            you with the specifics. as i said, for example, he had one student
            put the sound chip in a barbie doll and when the doll's arm was
            raised the sound played. that is specific. however, you could just
            learn the process and then apply it. the workship is going to be in
            the meeting room of a senior housing complex on the corner of Laguna
            and DeLaGuerra in Santa Barbara.
            emily

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Linda Snook
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
              Thanks!

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                I just received the flyer on "SO CALled Books: Diversity in Artists'
                Books from Southern California", the show curated by Gloria Helfgott.
                It will be in the lobby of the Young Research Library at UCLA from
                July 15-August 31. The opening reception is Friday, July 19, from
                6-8 pm. If you'd like to attend, RSVP to 310/825-1201. In addition,
                a panel discussion on current trends in artsits' books will be held
                Thursday, July 18 from 2-4 pm at GSEIS111. Panelists include LA book
                artist Susan King ("Redressing the Sixties," "(art) lessons a la
                mode," etc.), Stefan Kliman (art librarian and author of a book about
                book arts) and Edwina Leggett, owner of Califia Books in S.F. They
                hope to add a fourth panelist. If you want to attend, call Dawn
                Henney at 310/206-2868. Parking for both events is in Lot 3 and
                costs $7.

              • sally timlin
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                  Hi Linda,
                  I hope Emily doesn't mind but I thought I'd respond to
                  your posting since I took this class at the SF Center
                  for the Book. I would say you should definitely have
                  something in mind ...either a book to alter or a box
                  which will incorporate both sound and light. Hooshang
                  is a very nice teacher although he's not a book artist
                  so be prepared to learn a great deal about electricity
                  but not books. :o)
                  Sally

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                    Hi Sally,

                    Thanks for your message. That is very helpful in terms
                    of my conceptualization process! Excellent information.

                    Best,
                    Linda

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                      Just got the message that the class will be not so much about books but about electric wiring. i'm not as interested as i was before. sorry. but let me know if i am the eight.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                        Hi Ines,
                        Please don't let me scare you away from attending. I
                        certainly found the information to be helpful as a
                        book and assemblage artist and I had a fun time too!
                        Sally

                        =====

                        http://sbc.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
                          Thanks, sally. i'm just affraid that i will dedicate a full weekend to a workshop and end up not wanting to use the info. time and energy are at such a premium lately! can't wait to retire.
                          From: sally timlin <artgirl68@...>
                          To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                          Date: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 8:32 PM

                          =====