Re: [bookartsconnection] DETAILS - Electric Book Class

  • lolomama@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 7, 2002
      This sounds wonderful, but not in my budget right now. I hope you get eight
      folks, as I would love to see/hear the results! Best, Lois Klein

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 7, 2002
        Emily - Thanks so much for organizing this workshop. Count me in!
        I'll send you a check this week.

      • patbooks2000
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 7, 2002
          Emily - Sounds good to me! Count me in too! The check's in the mail.

          Patrice Baldwin

          --- In bookartsconnection@y..., Pam Maines <pam@r...> wrote:
          > Emily - Thanks so much for organizing this workshop. Count me in!
          > I'll send you a check this week.
          >
          > Pam
        • methylethyle
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
            Hi, Emily: Count me in, too! I'll send you a check today. Thanks so much for
            organizing this...

            Margy Houtz
          • sally timlin
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
              Lois,
              You can see the results at the makeup class at my
              house since I went to his workshop at the SF Center
              for the Book. :o) Sally

              --- lolomama@... wrote:
              > This sounds wonderful, but not in my budget right
              > now. I hope you get eight
              > folks, as I would love to see/hear the results!
              > Best, Lois Klein

              > removed]

              =====

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Linda Snook
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
                Dear Emily,

                The workshop sounds very creative. Thanks for arranging it. However, after
                reading some on-line information describing his classes in Portland, I am
                beginning to think that to get the most out of the workshop I would need to
                bring a developed concept to the class. Is this your experience? I have
                searched the net for more information and especially images of the artist's
                (and students) work so that I can have a basis for brainstorming ideas and
                concepts.

                Another question: Where will the class be held?

                Thanks again,
                Linda

              • emnemnem
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
                  you don't have to have a finished concept but if you do he can help
                  you with the specifics. as i said, for example, he had one student
                  put the sound chip in a barbie doll and when the doll's arm was
                  raised the sound played. that is specific. however, you could just
                  learn the process and then apply it. the workship is going to be in
                  the meeting room of a senior housing complex on the corner of Laguna
                  and DeLaGuerra in Santa Barbara.
                  emily

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Linda Snook
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
                    Thanks!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                      I just received the flyer on "SO CALled Books: Diversity in Artists'
                      Books from Southern California", the show curated by Gloria Helfgott.
                      It will be in the lobby of the Young Research Library at UCLA from
                      July 15-August 31. The opening reception is Friday, July 19, from
                      6-8 pm. If you'd like to attend, RSVP to 310/825-1201. In addition,
                      a panel discussion on current trends in artsits' books will be held
                      Thursday, July 18 from 2-4 pm at GSEIS111. Panelists include LA book
                      artist Susan King ("Redressing the Sixties," "(art) lessons a la
                      mode," etc.), Stefan Kliman (art librarian and author of a book about
                      book arts) and Edwina Leggett, owner of Califia Books in S.F. They
                      hope to add a fourth panelist. If you want to attend, call Dawn
                      Henney at 310/206-2868. Parking for both events is in Lot 3 and
                      costs $7.

                    • sally timlin
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                        Hi Linda,
                        I hope Emily doesn't mind but I thought I'd respond to
                        your posting since I took this class at the SF Center
                        for the Book. I would say you should definitely have
                        something in mind ...either a book to alter or a box
                        which will incorporate both sound and light. Hooshang
                        is a very nice teacher although he's not a book artist
                        so be prepared to learn a great deal about electricity
                        but not books. :o)
                        Sally

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                          Hi Sally,

                          Thanks for your message. That is very helpful in terms
                          of my conceptualization process! Excellent information.

                          Best,
                          Linda

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                            Just got the message that the class will be not so much about books but about electric wiring. i'm not as interested as i was before. sorry. but let me know if i am the eight.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                              Hi Ines,
                              Please don't let me scare you away from attending. I
                              certainly found the information to be helpful as a
                              book and assemblage artist and I had a fun time too!
                              Sally

                              =====

                              http://sbc.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
                                Thanks, sally. i'm just affraid that i will dedicate a full weekend to a workshop and end up not wanting to use the info. time and energy are at such a premium lately! can't wait to retire.
                                From: sally timlin <artgirl68@...>
                                To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                                Date: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 8:32 PM

                                =====