DETAILS - Electric Book Class

  • emnemnem
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 6, 2002
      Hi everyone,
      I have just spoken with Hooshang Partovi, the instructor of this
      class and here is the information I have gathered.

      Class Date: (this is the only date available this summer)
      August 17 and 18 - if there is not enough interest, we
      could postpone until September or later

      Class Time: Saturday, 10am - 4pm
      Sunday, 9am - 3pm

      Supplies required: one or two hardcovered books (thick cover
      preferred and block approx. 2 inches thick) or
      one or two boxes such as cigar boxes
      or another item of your choice (someone in one of
      his previous classes wired a Barbie Doll for
      sound)

      Optional supplies if you wish to include sound in your project:
      from Radio Shack either a "Photoframe" which
      supplies 10 seconds of recording time or a
      "Recording Module" and nine volt battery which
      provides 20 seconds of recording time

      NO OTHER SUPPLIES WHATSOEVER REQUIRED - Hooshang with bring solderer
      wire, micro switches, LED's etc.

      Class Size: minimum AND maximum of 8 persons. In other words
      we must have 8, no more, no less.

      Cost: $175 per person, $75 payable by Wednesday, July 24
      Balance of $100 paid in full by August 7th. If 8
      persons have not paid in full by August 7th, the
      class will be cancelled, and money will be
      refunded. If you decide to back out of the
      class you must do so by August 10th, so that
      the class can be rescheduled and all money
      refunded.
      After August 10th, no refunds
      are possible for any reason. He
      requested I give him cash. Therefore, checks
      should be made payable to me: Emily Emanuel
      and mailed to my home in a timely fashion to
      meet deadlines. My address is: 4892 Kodiak Ave
      Santa Barbara, CA 93111.

      Questions: call me in the evening at my home 964-8897 by
      10pm

      THIS INSTRUCTOR SOUNDS GREAT, WARM AND ACCESSIBLE. HE LOVED THE
      BARBIE EXPERIENCE SO WE CAN GET WILD WITH OUR IDEAS. HOPE WE CAN MAKE
      IT HAPPEN. LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU ALL.
      Emily
    • lolomama@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 7, 2002
        This sounds wonderful, but not in my budget right now. I hope you get eight
        folks, as I would love to see/hear the results! Best, Lois Klein

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 7, 2002
          Emily - Thanks so much for organizing this workshop. Count me in!
          I'll send you a check this week.

        • patbooks2000
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 7, 2002
            Emily - Sounds good to me! Count me in too! The check's in the mail.

            Patrice Baldwin

            --- In bookartsconnection@y..., Pam Maines <pam@r...> wrote:
            > Emily - Thanks so much for organizing this workshop. Count me in!
            > I'll send you a check this week.
            >
            > Pam
          • methylethyle
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
              Hi, Emily: Count me in, too! I'll send you a check today. Thanks so much for
              organizing this...

              Margy Houtz
            • sally timlin
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
                Lois,
                You can see the results at the makeup class at my
                house since I went to his workshop at the SF Center
                for the Book. :o) Sally

                --- lolomama@... wrote:
                > This sounds wonderful, but not in my budget right
                > now. I hope you get eight
                > folks, as I would love to see/hear the results!
                > Best, Lois Klein

                > removed]

                =====

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • Linda Snook
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
                  Dear Emily,

                  The workshop sounds very creative. Thanks for arranging it. However, after
                  reading some on-line information describing his classes in Portland, I am
                  beginning to think that to get the most out of the workshop I would need to
                  bring a developed concept to the class. Is this your experience? I have
                  searched the net for more information and especially images of the artist's
                  (and students) work so that I can have a basis for brainstorming ideas and
                  concepts.

                  Another question: Where will the class be held?

                  Thanks again,
                  Linda

                • emnemnem
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
                    you don't have to have a finished concept but if you do he can help
                    you with the specifics. as i said, for example, he had one student
                    put the sound chip in a barbie doll and when the doll's arm was
                    raised the sound played. that is specific. however, you could just
                    learn the process and then apply it. the workship is going to be in
                    the meeting room of a senior housing complex on the corner of Laguna
                    and DeLaGuerra in Santa Barbara.
                    emily

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • Linda Snook
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 8, 2002
                      Thanks!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                        I just received the flyer on "SO CALled Books: Diversity in Artists'
                        Books from Southern California", the show curated by Gloria Helfgott.
                        It will be in the lobby of the Young Research Library at UCLA from
                        July 15-August 31. The opening reception is Friday, July 19, from
                        6-8 pm. If you'd like to attend, RSVP to 310/825-1201. In addition,
                        a panel discussion on current trends in artsits' books will be held
                        Thursday, July 18 from 2-4 pm at GSEIS111. Panelists include LA book
                        artist Susan King ("Redressing the Sixties," "(art) lessons a la
                        mode," etc.), Stefan Kliman (art librarian and author of a book about
                        book arts) and Edwina Leggett, owner of Califia Books in S.F. They
                        hope to add a fourth panelist. If you want to attend, call Dawn
                        Henney at 310/206-2868. Parking for both events is in Lot 3 and
                        costs $7.

                      • sally timlin
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                          Hi Linda,
                          I hope Emily doesn't mind but I thought I'd respond to
                          your posting since I took this class at the SF Center
                          for the Book. I would say you should definitely have
                          something in mind ...either a book to alter or a box
                          which will incorporate both sound and light. Hooshang
                          is a very nice teacher although he's not a book artist
                          so be prepared to learn a great deal about electricity
                          but not books. :o)
                          Sally

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                            Hi Sally,

                            Thanks for your message. That is very helpful in terms
                            of my conceptualization process! Excellent information.

                            Best,
                            Linda

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                              Just got the message that the class will be not so much about books but about electric wiring. i'm not as interested as i was before. sorry. but let me know if i am the eight.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 9, 2002
                                Hi Ines,
                                Please don't let me scare you away from attending. I
                                certainly found the information to be helpful as a
                                book and assemblage artist and I had a fun time too!
                                Sally

                                =====

                                http://sbc.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 10, 2002
                                  Thanks, sally. i'm just affraid that i will dedicate a full weekend to a workshop and end up not wanting to use the info. time and energy are at such a premium lately! can't wait to retire.
                                  From: sally timlin <artgirl68@...>
                                  To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
                                  Date: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 8:32 PM

                                  =====