Charlene's Bindery Class Schedule for Autumn

  • rosequeen48
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2007
      CLASS SCHEDULE FOR AUTUMN

      Please note there are no lab fees this session. A
      heartfelt thanks for the generosity of the late Gloria
      Helfgott, who donated the leather and paper for this
      session to encourage education in the Book Arts.

      Cost for each class is $130.00. There are spaces for
      FIVE people each class. Please make class
      reservations via email (bindery@...), and I will confirm via
      email.
      Classes held from 10am to 4pm, Saturdays. Full
      payment is required for class reservation. For
      cancellations, full refund one-week prior, half refund
      6 days prior to class.

      Classes held at my Bindery, 5720 Melrose Avenue, Los
      Angeles, California, 90038. 323-962-2109. There is
      ample parking behind the Bindery, enter on Lucerne.

      All classes (except for The Girdle Book) are geared
      for both beginning and advanced binders; how far you
      take the book will be up to you. The equipment and
      the energy are provided. Because of the small class
      size, things can be geared towards individual needs.
      That is why I am leaving some things, in the air.

      If any of you want some book restoration classes, let
      me know.

      Tools for all classes- basic binding stuff (needles,
      bone folders, ruler, exacto knife with blades, small
      cutting mat), plus anything you have I might find
      highly amusing, and stuff you might want to embellish
      a book with. IF this is your first class, just show
      up. I have noted that Hiromi carries Teflon bone
      folders now. All classes will include demonstrations
      on the Kwikprint for title foiling/debossing if time
      permits.

      Because of the small class size, things can be geared
      towards individual needs. That is why I am leaving
      some things, in the air.

      SEPTEMBER 29
      1. Japanese Binding Variations.
      We will try to make as many small books as we can,
      using various spine decoration methods, and unusual
      corner treatments. We will also be experimenting with
      page folds, inner paper hinges, outer cover hinges and
      endpapers. Hard cover and un-pared limp leather
      covered books will be made. This binding type is
      perfect for edition binding. Be prepared to sew.

      OCTOBER 13
      2. Sewing Over Raised Cords (thongs).
      Learn variations of sewing over cords using folded
      signatures. Various types of `cords' will be used,
      such as leather, twine, vellum, wire, and plastic with
      discussions of cord placements for various types of
      binding structures, including exposed spines and tight
      back leather bindings, and how to use a job backer.
      Decorative sewing and binding repair will be covered,
      as well as end paper treatments. One book will be
      completed; I do not know what type yet, it is up to
      the class.

      OCTOBER 27
      3. The Girdle Book.
      Leather binding. My teaching assistant Richard has
      asked for this workshop. I do not have a write up for
      it as of now. It is a historical binding, and is not
      a beginning bookbinding class. If you are new to
      binding, the Sewing Over Raised Cords is a requisite.

      NOVEMBER 10
      4. Flat Back Case Binding, with Single Sheets.
      Take a pile of single sheets (artwork, poetry,
      photographs) and overcast sew them, attach the end
      papers, back and line the spine, make the case, and
      case the book block in. Wa-LA, a book anyone would
      be proud of. Methods for the binder at home to
      achieve this binding will be stressed. Another great
      edition binding type.

      NOVEMBER 24
      5. Exposed Spine Binding, with Odd Shaped Covers and
      Book Blocks.
      We are going to play with geometric and round shapes,
      finding spots to create a spine, sewing the book block
      over raised cords, leaving the spine exposed. The
      covers will be limp, as we will be using un-pared
      leather for the covers and vellum for the thongs (or,
      the covers can be hard board covered in cloth, your
      choice). We will not be using the jig saw, but I will
      demonstrate its use in cutting odd board and book
      block shapes.

      DECEMBER 8
      6. Photograph Albums.
      The last class before Christmas will concentrate on
      making a photo album. At this date, I have not
      decided on what type yet. I am thinking about a
      stubbed Victorian model, where the photos are put in
      with photo corners, but cut-out window treatments will
      be discussed. The covers will be hard, covered in
      cloth. If I can think of a simple fast way of doing
      this binding, we might even back with paper, some
      velvet, to cover them in; it is a time factor here.
      Give me some input if you are interested in this
      class.

      Charlene Matthews Bindery
      5720 Melrose Avenue
      Los Angeles, CA 90038