Artist's books by printmakers

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2007
      "The Art of the Book, The Book as Art"

      "The Art of the Book, the Book as Art " features book works created by =
      students of Printmaking 552 in the School of Art and Design, College of =
      Visual and Performing Arts, Syracuse University Library.=20 =20 The exhibit
      is on display in the 6th floor hall case at Syracuse University= Library
      between Hillyer and Spector rooms, and available online at =
      <http://library.syr.edu/digital/exhibits/a/ArtOfTheBook/>.

      =20

      The class, taught by Peter D. Verheyen of Syracuse University Library's =
      Special Collections Research Center (SCRC), aims to give students an =
      overview of some of the structures used in the book arts, and to stimulate =
      exploration of these forms. As part of that exploration, the students =
      visited the SU Library, where art librarian Ann Skiold gave them an =
      overview of book arts resources within the circulating collections, and =
      Peter Verheyen, preservation and digital access librarian showed them =
      examples of structures from SCRC's collections. The students learned in =
      class about many of these structures, including the "Japanese" stab-sewn =
      binding, the accordion/concertina binding, the flagbook, and various kinds =
      of sewn books. They also saw a presentation on the physical properties of =
      materials and a demonstration of working with some of these by conservation=
      librarian David Stokoe. Weekly homework assignments were designed to give =
      students more experience with the structures learned in class that week.

      =20

      The works shown in this exhibit are the result of the second assignment in =
      which students were asked to create a unique work based in some way on a =
      work from the SCRC's collections. These works are shown alongside the =
      students' work. The connection between the students' work and the work =
      from SCRC's collections could be structural, aesthetic, or a combination =
      of the two.=20

      This exhibition project also served as an introduction to the processes =
      involved in entering exhibitions. Students were asked to describe their =
      work and provide a brief biographical sketch and artist's statement*the =
      latter not necessarily easy for students at the beginning of their =
      artistic careers. This process prepared the students to take on the role =
      of jurors for this summer's "Central New York Book Arts'" exhibition, =
      which they will jury as part of the class under the instructor's supervisio=
      n. By serving as jurors they will have the opportunity to apply their =
      experiences from the class, and to critically assess current works by =
      practicing book artists. "Central New York Book Arts " will open in this =
      space later in May, as well as being available online. This the will be =
      second regional exhibition of book works, the first having been on display =
      at the Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center in Auburn, NY in the fall of 2001. =
      That exhibit is available online at <http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/cnybookar=

      ts/>.

    • Sara Norquay
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2007
        Hi fellow artists,

        I am in need of a few more people to register for my class at the Schott
        Center this Friday at 5 PM. It is the Printmaking for Book Artists Class. I
        almost have enough to make it a go and I know the people who showed up last
        week would love it to actually happen.

        So, if you can and are interested, please come to room 23 on Friday at 5PM.
        You can of course stay and make art with us, Supplies are provided. If you
        want to stay for the whole 6 weeks, there is a materials fee of $40 which
        gets you plates, paper, ink, tools, presses etc.

        This class offers techiniques that are perfect for books, greeting cards,
        ATC's, or journaling. You can make a whole lot of prints in the three hours
        that we meet.

        Please email me back if you can come so I can get a head count before
        Friday.

        Thanks a heap.
        Hope to see you soon.

        Sara Norquay

      • askengel@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18, 2007
          Oh Sara,
          I do hope that you receive the amount of people that you need to continue
          this class. After writing you about it, I found that I would be busy both
          this
          Friday and the next one, so I decided that I wouldn't get enough out of a 7
          week class by missing 2.
          Sorry I can't come up to help you out. I also am hoping that you will offer
          the class NEXT semester.
          Sharon Engel