Paul Johnson Workshop...

  • patbooks2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2002
      Here's a notice that came in on the Book Arts Listserv. My question is
      below it:

      The San Francisco Center for the Book has added an extra summer
      workshop by Paul Johnson, the British book and paper artist who is
      internationally recognized for his pioneering work in developing
      literacy through the book arts.

      Making Surprise-Filled Books with Children, scheduled for Thursday
      July 11 from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., is ideal for school teachers,
      parents or book artists interested in inventive, inspiring and
      kid-friendly book structures. With little more than scissors and
      glue, participants (and later, their students) learn to make books to
      read, to view like a picture, to hold and explore like a sculpture or
      to rearrange in a variety of 3D shapes. You can expect to take away
      dozens of different book models - integrating verbal and visual
      images and paper technology - that make learning fun for children. To
      illustrate the class, Paul draws on a range of children's 3D books
      from the Book Art Project, a research program he ran for many years
      at Manchester Metropolitan University. See
      http://www.sfcb.org/php/classes.php3?id=1025725774 for details.

      +We can also take a few more registrations for Paul's two-day workshop
      +for book artists, The Book as Picture: The Permanently Open Page, on
      +Saturday and Sunday, July 13-14, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Participants
      +will construct a three-dimensional book that hangs on the wall
      +instead of sitting on a shelf. Class begins with a look at the books
      +Paul has designed to be displayed as reliefs or hung as pictures.
      +Participants spend the rest of the day developing 3D models. On Day
      +Two, we incorporate several of those models into a single book, as
      +well as experimenting with different paper-engineering techniques for
      +use within a single page. Your finished book might feature pull-outs,
      +lift-the-flap pages, 90- and 180-degree pop-up movable units,
      +removable parts and more! See
      +http://www.sfcb.org/php/classes.php3?id=t2-071302-bnd for details.

      +Paul will also be giving a free, public talk titled Movable Magic on
      +Friday
      +July 12 from 7-9 p.m. at the Center. He'll pull a library's worth of
      +books - many of his own, others made by British schoolchildren - from
      +a single suitcase! And he'll talk about the endless power of the book
      +as an aesthetic,
      +architectural form and its special fascination for children (of all
      +ages).

      For a complete listing of classes at the San Francisco Center for the
      Book, visit our web site (http://www.sfcb.org/) You can register for
      class by calling us at (415) 565-0545 or by faxing the registration
      form found on our web site to (415) 565-0556.

      Paul Johnson is author of A Book of One's Own, Literacy Through the
      Book Arts, and Words and Pictures Together, among other works. He ran
      the Book Art Project from Manchester Metropolitan University from
      1986 to 1997. His work is in the collections of the Cooper-Hewett
      Museum in New York, the National Gallery, the Library of Congress,
      the University of California at Berkeley and Yale University, among
      other institutions. He exhibits widely and is on the UK Craft
      Council's select list of British craftspeople.
      ______________________________

      Would anyone like to go up to do the weekend workshop with me (July
      13-14), I hate to go to those kinds of things alone, and I'd surely
      get lost in San Francisco. I don't know if there's still room in the
      workshop, but I'd like to try. It sounds like great fun, and Paul is a
      wonderful book artist. I bought one of his books when I was in London
      in the mid 80s, and I've followed his career ever since.

      If you're interested, call me right away. 352-0202 Or tomorrow at my
      daughter's 455-3302.

      Patrice Baldwin
    • sally timlin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2002
        Oh, Pat...I wish I could go! I have his book "Literacy
        Through the Book Arts" at home and it is wonderful. I
        hope you can go and tell us all about it! Sally

        =====

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2002
          Pat - I'd really wanted to go to SF for the talk and workshop but
          can't fit it into my schedule. Go if you can (don't be afraid to go
          alone - the folks there are always friendly and welcoming) and please
          tell us all about it!

        • patbooks2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
            --- In bookartsconnection@y..., Pam Maines <pam@r...> wrote:
            > Pat - I'd really wanted to go to SF for the talk and workshop but
            > can't fit it into my schedule. Go if you can (don't be afraid to go
            > alone - the folks there are always friendly and welcoming) and please
            > tell us all about it!
            > Pam

            No, it's the getting around SF. I'm "direction challenged" meaning I
            ALWAYS get lost. Also, it's no fun to go places alone.