type world

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006
      2------------Monotype Imaging Acquires Linotype
      Move unites font design and technology companies to expand global
      into new markets, 2 August 2006 by Vikki Quick, WOBURN, Mass.

      Monotype Imaging Inc., a global leader in font and imaging
      technologies, has
      acquired Linotype GmbH, a subsidiary of Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG
      and home of the renowned Linotype® Library. The collection includes
      some of
      the most popular and time-honored designs such as the Helvetica®,
      and Optima® typefaces. Linotype and its employees will remain based
      in Bad
      Homburg, Germany, and operate as a wholly owned subsidiary of Monotype
      Imaging.The combination of Linotype's extensive, high-quality
      typeface library and
      Monotype Imaging's font technology offerings and global distribution
      will provide customers a greater range of typographic solutions for
      use in
      printers, display devices and the graphic arts professional market.
      Together, the
      companies aim to fulfill the increasingly sophisticated font
      requirements of consumer electronics markets such as the mobile phone
      segment, where the number of mobile subscribers increased more than
      25 percent in 2005 to more than two billion people, according to
      Informa Telecoms & Media. "It's our vision to improve global
      communications through type," said Robert M. Givens, president and
      chief executive officer of Monotype Imaging. "Wherever our customers
      want to communicate, whether on mobile devices, digital cameras,
      computers, on television or in print, our fonts and technology enable
      type to be displayed at high quality in any language."We've worked
      with Linotype for years, and we have developed an appreciation and
      respect for the esteemed reputation of the Linotype company, a
      valuable asset we intend to protect and enhance. In addition to its
      impressive heritage and current typographic innovations, Linotype has
      a proven expert management team with values and standards we share.
      Our passions and our visions are both aligned and enhanced by our
      partnership. When the opportunity to combine our companies was
      presented, it was a natural fit."
      Linotype will continue as Linotype GmbH under the leadership of Bruno
      Steinert, managing director, who gave his perspective on the
      acquisition: "It's a new era for the font industry, and the strong
      legacy of Linotype's values will live on and gain strength with this
      move. Our corporate identity will not change and our customers can be
      assured Linotype will continue to produce superior quality typefaces,
      products and services, consistent with our tradition of design
      excellence. "Monotype Imaging and Linotype have built solid
      reputations for technological innovation and type design
      craftsmanship. Linotype, with its collection of more than 6,000
      typefaces, has delivered some of the most famous typefaces in history
      from some of the most highly regarded designers, including Hermann
      Zapf, Adrian Frutiger and Matthew Carter. Monotype Imaging's iType®
      font engine and WorldType® Layout Engine enable the display of
      scalable, multilingual text for small footprint devices, such as cell
      phones. At the BREW® conference in June, where Monotype Imaging
      announced the availability of both technologies for QUALCOMM's BREW
      solution for cell phones, Monotype Imaging announced the world's
      first font suite for mobile phones, giving developers the ability to
      select fonts of choice for content and applications. Monotype Imaging
      is also home to the Monotype® and ITC® typeface libraries.

      Both Monotype Imaging and Linotype have established custom design
      businesses which have created typefaces for the corporate identities of
      companies such as Marks & Spencer, Porsche, Suntory and UBS. In 1994,
      Monotype Imaging and Linotype standardized their end user licensing
      agreements to simplify font usage and workflow rights for creative
      The companies also have solutions to help customers using large
      numbers of
      typefaces to effectively manage font licenses. Through Monotype
      Imaging's Fontwise® service and Linotype's FontExplorerT X
      application, the companies intend to accelerate development and
      support for these font and license management solutions.Monotype
      Imaging and Linotype will continue to market and license typefaces
      from hundreds of type foundries and designers worldwide through their
      e-commerce Web sites, www.fonts.com and www.linotype.com. Allan
      Haley, director of words and letters at Monotype Imaging explained
      how the company views its responsibility to the type community:
      "Monotype Imaging and Linotype have forged solid partnerships with
      typeface designers to create what we
      believe to be a dynamic marketing and distribution channel. Together
      we want
      to further strengthen this channel and encourage users to respect the
      hard work
      that goes into creating typefaces. We're seeing vibrant new designs
      every day -
      a sign that this community is thriving. We intend to do all we can to
      help it stay
      that way. "Steinert added, "Linotype's long-standing reputation
      within the type design community for integrity and best practice can
      be relied upon, as we'll continue to expand our design program."

      About Linotype
      Linotype GmbH, based in Bad Homburg, Germany, is now a wholly owned
      subsidiary of the Monotype Imaging group of companies. Building on
      its 120
      year heritage, Linotype develops state-of-the-art font technology and
      more than 6,000 original typefaces, covering the whole typographic
      from antique to modern, from east to west, and from classical to
      All typefaces (in the PostScript® and TrueType® formats as well as
      more than
      2,500 fonts in the OpenType® format) are now also available for instant
      download at www.linotype.com. In addition to supplying digital fonts,
      also offers comprehensive and individual consultation and support
      services for
      font applications in worldwide (corporate) communication.

      About Monotype Imaging
      Based in Woburn, Mass. with regional offices in the U.K., Chicago,
      Redwood City, Calif., Boulder, Colo., Japan and China, Monotype
      Imaging is a global leader in fonts and font technologies for graphic
      professionals, software developers and manufacturers of printers and
      display devices. The company also provides print drivers and color
      imaging technologies to OEMs (original equipment manufacturers).
      Monotype Imaging is home to the Monotype and ITC typeface libraries,
      collections that include widely used designs such as the Arial®,
      Times New Roman®, Gill Sans® and ITC Franklin GothicT typeface
      families. Monotype
      Imaging offers fonts and industry-standard solutions for most of the
      world's written languages. Information about Monotype Imaging and its
      products can be found on the company's Web sites at
      www.fonts.com, www.monotypefonts.com, www.customfonts.com,
      www.itcfonts.com and www.faces.co.uk.