more on tyvek

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2006
      Subject: Re: Tyvek

      Although Tyvek, like all materials, has its shortcomings in certain
      applications such as exposure to UV, it surely has plenty where it is an
      ideal material.

      Most grades of Tyvek have coatings of some sort on them. Most commonly are
      anti-static coatings which allow converters that take master Dupont rolls
      weighing thousands of pounds to covert them down to smaller consumer size
      rolls on high speed machinery. Without these anti static coatings the
      machines would have to run at much slower speeds to keep the static electric
      charges down, making it more expensive. And for most applications the
      general public (manufacturing, construction, etc.) is not concerned about
      these coatings, and rightfully so.

      The base material of Tyvek (high density polyethylene or HDPE) is by nature
      a stable plastic that is considered to be archival, however it is most of
      these coatings that make it unsuitable for archival use. I can say however
      that we have been able to obtain uncoated Tyvek from Dupont and offer this
      in rolls ranging from 10ft to 100yd in length.

      They can be purchased on our web sit at this address:

      http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15
      <http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&Pro
      ductID=25809> &ProductID=25809

      Regards,

      Aaron Salik

      Talas

      20 West 20th Street

      New York, NY 10011

      212-219-0770 Phone

      212-219-0735 Fax

      http://talasonline.com <http://talasonline.com/>

      I'm a huge fan of Tyvek for heavy duty hinging. I've used Tyvek to
      hinge two editions of sculptural board games and they've held up
      beautifully after being opened and closed for several years. My only
      issue was that it required more PVA than regular paper/bookcloth to
      get good adherence to the board. I also know several people who love
      to use Tyvek for paste paper. I prefer to buy it by the roll for
      large projects and have gotten it from www.matthiaspaper.com and
      www.uline.com. (I believe Uline is cheaper.) Most shipping supply or
      industrial paper websites will carry it. I just googled "tyvek roll".
      It's also available in various thicknesses with different coatings
      depending upon your application. And if you're in/close to Chicago,
      it's available by the sheet at Creative Reuse on the far south side.

      -jen