self publishing,tyvek, yes paste, etc

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2006
      I thought some might be interested in this article on Print On Demand
      Publishing from the New york Times

      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/20/technology/20basics.html

      Subject: Tyvek

      Tyvek banners hung outdoors with exposure to sunlight can begin to
      weaken and tear from slight wind within a few months. I know this
      because I made some expecting them to last much much longer.
      Here's a site that gives a good capsule summary of Tyvek's
      properties: http://graphics.dupont.com/en/productServices/userguide/
      whats_special.shtml
      I had cut up car covers for my banner material and if I had bothered
      to read the box would have seen DuPont's helpful information/disclaimer.
      The material can be gotten with a UV protective coating but I've no
      experience with it. I do know that the Tyvek HomeWrap that we put
      under the siding of our garage bragged about its resistance to mold
      and wind and almost everything else but nothing about UV or sunlight.
      Which, since it's meant to be covered up, isn't surprising.

      -----------
      You can purchase tyvek tapes from BRODART www.shopbrodart.com
      They are available in different colors and widths
      -------------
      You can buy Tyvek online from Dick Blick (just Google the name),
      although, after reading all the responses, I'm not sure I want to
      use it anymore!

      I keep thinking it would be useful for projects that will be subject
      to very little constant sunlight and tons of handling -- flexagons,
      for example.

      The relevant point on Tyvek seems to be "prolonged exposure to UV" - not too
      many book/art projects receive that kind of exposure. Just about anything
      (paper, leather, cloth) will degrade under those conditions. So I wouldn't
      be too concerned, myself.

      Subject: Re: Yes! Paste

      I collected info on Yes paste some time ago, I would never use it again. Info below. I have been told they changed their formula but I still wouldn't trust it on anything I cared about.

      Christine

      Yes glue
      These are excerpts from the Book Arts archives where most people are very concerned about archival issues
      I've heard from many different sources (including a paper conservator) that Yes Paste is not archival even though it says so on the label. I've heard that it will eventually turn brown and discolor
      the paper after only a few years time. Has anyone had first-hand experience with this Julie

      Yes glue does in fact turn yellow. I recently pulled out a collage I
      had done about 9 years ago and there was yellowing in an area where Yes glue was used. I'm smarter now and use archival products. I would never consider using Yes glue for a permanent piece of art work.
      Sally Lancaster - Public Services & Exhibit Librarian

      -------------------------------------
      About 14 years ago before I used PVA or wheat paste. I used Yes
      to mount a hanging board made from 4 ply museum mount doubled on the back of a very thick sheet (about 600 grams) of paper printed with a cyanotype image.
      In about 6 years the paste had turned brown, dried up, and the hanging board had broken away from the thick paper. I got the address of the Yes people and wrote asking what its pH was and told them about my problem. They replied, it was not too acid, around 4.6 to 5 and maybe I should use a thicker coat of the paste!
      So I have not used it since because even if it weren't so acidic, breaking apart in such a short time is unacceptable.
      -----------------
      When you speak of damage caused by YES Paste, what exactly do you mean?
      I've seen numerous combinations cited for this commercial product.
      The most recent I've seen is: mixture of dextrin (a modified starch), corn starch, with water and a preservative (commercial ad, 1996). However, I have had to undo the adhesive (because of the damage it had caused) too often and the generation I had to deal with
      also appeared to have a protein component (applied possibly late 70's
      or early 80's). It does discolor (turns dark brown over time) and is
      tenacious in it's sticking(could be an asset for whatever you are doing). This product is often advertised as "archival".

      The use of YES paste I encountered was on stationery-type and fine art papers that had been mounted (to another paper or cloth) or repaired in the past. The paste was turning a deep dark brown (in perhaps as little as 10-20 years). The papers were becoming unevenly
      brittle and surface appearance was mottled as a result. Also, the uneven application was causing some of the papers to expand and contract differentially, causing blind and internal tears to the paper support. The fact that the paste was so tenacious compounded the problem, as ease of reversibility is always desired in conservation treatments.

      Reversibility may not be an issue with creative persons when creating, but the prospect of eventual severe "browning" and discoloration of paper and cloth might be undesirable. As others have mentioned on the list, there are multiple qualities and factors to consider when choosing an adhesive. Use adhesives that fit your personal parameters and needs.

      As I and others have mentioned before, if you are interested in more pro-con technical discussions of issues, try "CoOL which is Conservation-On-Line at: http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/

      -------------------
      I have been told by several professional paper conservators that yes
      paste is not archival. They didn't hesitate when I asked them either!
      When I worked in the Conservation Office of the Library of Congress
      in the mid-1980s there was much grumbling about the past use of Yes
      paste for similar reasons to what Stephanie described. It was
      thought, at the time of its application, that Yes paste was safe for
      use in the conservation of innumerable items from LCs collections. Of
      course, it was not OK and the consequences are readily evident,
      although not easily reversed or treated

      Nowadays, we all regret someone's else's earlier treatment
      methodology or use of particular materials in their art. I would not
      recommend Yes paste for any conservation treatment. If you want your
      work or art to deteriorate over time, then by all means use it, but
      stipulate to the buyer that that is part of the process, an intended
      consequence, a laugh or slap at the future.

      Let's hear a big NO to Yes paste in conservation. I don't expect the
      use of inappropriate materials in the creation of art to stop. These
      items will continue to be a headache to future conservators.