APHA/Horn Press Reception at CAL RBS West

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2006
      Hello LABAC members. Please read below for an invitation to a
      APHA/Horn Press reception at UCLA.

      Dear American Printing History Association Members, Southern
      California Chapter and potential APHA members:

      We are pleased to announce that we have recently revived the
      APHA Southern California Chapter and are planning some very special
      events for our members and for potential new members. The new
      officers for the next two years are Kitty Maryatt, President; Steve
      MacLeod, Program Chair; Richenda Brim, Secretary; Ryan Hildebrand,
      Treasurer. Contact information is below.

      Our immediate plans for the year 2006 include a reception at Rare
      Book School West held at UCLA on August 2, from 5:30-7:00. The
      reception is planned especially for our chapter members to get re-
      acquainted and to invite potential new members to our convivial
      group. This event is co-sponsored by UCLA's Horn Press, so you will
      hear the latest on their resusitation as well. Our event will be
      in the reception area of the Graduate School of Education and
      Information building. Parking is $8. You can purchase a ticket from
      the parking kiosk just off Hilgard at Wyton, and they will direct
      to our building. We would be very pleased if you would come to this
      first meeting of the year.

      On September 16 at 2:00 p.m., Gregory Graalfs from the San Francisco
      area will present a talk about his work with Jack Stauffacher at UC
      Santa Cruz and on working with Bill Everson on his landmark book
      Granite & Cypress. Gregory Graalfs has worked in the publishing
      industry for a numbers of years, and he is currently writing a
      history of California fine printing. You will receive another letter
      with more details in a few weeks.

      On October 28, we will co-host an afternoon reception with Scripps
      College Press in Claremont at an exhibition titled Too Much Bliss:
      Twenty Years of Granary Books. The reception will be followed by the
      Frederic W. Goudy Lecture given by publisher Steven Clay. Granary
      Books has produced over one hundred outstanding publications as an
      independent publisher for the past twenty years. Publications
      artist books, books on poetry and music, and scholarly writing about
      the art and history of books.

      Another exciting afternoon event planned is the Annual General
      Meeting in November, either the 4th or 11th, held at the Getty
      Research Institute. Our special guest Joyce Ludmer, Curator of
      Artists' Books, will make a presentation of selected books from
      remarkable collection.

      In 2007, on January 27, we will again co-host a reception with
      Scripps College Press at an
      exhibition and symposium on the long-ranging effects of Mallarmé's
      extraordinary poem Un Coup de Dès on the artists' books movement.
      dream team of invited speakers include Betty Bright, Johanna
      Judd Hubert, Clifton Meador and Buzz Spector.

      On May 19 or 26, 2007, Harvey Mudd College Professor Jeff Groves
      give a presentation about the Columbian hand press in Honnold
      at the Claremont Colleges.

      The annual APHA symposium will be held at UCLA in the Fall of 2007,
      which is a fantastic opportunity to hear stellar presentations as
      well as a genial conclave to meet with your colleagues.

      We are also very interested in emerging artists and expect to
      highlight work from printing and book arts programs in our wide-
      ranging area. Other exciting activities are being planned, and we
      would love to have you join us at these events.

      We want to hear from you about programs that you would like us to
      organize. Feel free to contact any of us. Also, please let us know
      you are interested in giving a presentation for the APHA Chapter. We
      are also actively looking for a coordinator for our Master Calendar
      as a benefit to members who would find such a calendar useful for
      planning attendance at the many book arts activities in our area.

      The cost of membership to join the national American Printing
      Association is $45. Please consider joining the newly active
      California Chapter of APHA for an additional $15. Our area includes
      all of Southern California from the southern border up to and
      including San Luis Obispo County. Please visit printinghistory.org
      for a membership application and detailed information about this
      vibrant organization.

      We are excited about the possibilites for intellectual stimulation
      and forming new friendships through our common interest in printing
      history and look forward to hearing from you.

      Kitty Maryatt, President of the Southern California Chapter of APHA
      Director of the Scripps College Press
      Business: Scripps College, 1030 Columbia Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
      Business Telephone: (909) 607-3866
      Business e-mail: KMaryatt@...
      Studio: 5350 Playa Vista Drive Unit 12, Playa Vista, CA 90094
      Studio Telephone: (310) 439-2135
      Studio e-mail: twohandspress@...

      Steve MacLeod, Program Chair
      Public Services Coordinator, Special Collections
      Business: University of California, Irvine Libraries, Langston
      Library 500, P.O. Box 19557, Irvine CA 92623-9557
      Business Telephone: (949) 824-4967
      Business e-mail: smacleod@...

      Richenda Brim, Secretary
      Head of Collection Maintenance
      Business: Getty Research Institute, 1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite
      1100, Los Angeles, CA 90049
      Business Telephone: (310) 440-7494
      Business e-mail: rbrim@...

      Ryan Hildebrand, Treasurer
      Special Collections and Archives Cataloger
      Business: University of California, Irvine Libraries, Langston
      Library 500, P.O. Box 19557, Irvine CA 92623-9557
      Business Telephone: (949) 824-2263
      Business e-mail: hildebrj@...