A Local Book Show!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2006
      ARTIST UNION GALLERY BOOK ART EXHIBIT

      CURATORIAL STATEMENT

      The Artist Union Gallery in Ventura, California, will be hosting an exhibition of book art (a.k.a. artists book) in August and September of 2006. We are looking for a variety of traditional and unusual work that fit the description of book art as "any three dimension art work that uses any book format (from tablets to codex) or a book as the base for the work." We would like to have a range of sizes (from miniatures to room-size books), media (from paper to stone), and subjects ( personal journals to illustrations of someone else's work).

      If this art form is not familiar to you, here are a few websites that will give you a range of possibilities:

      http://centerforbookarts.org/
      http://fantasticemblage.blogspot.com
      http://www.elenamarysiff.com
      http://www.cafepress.com/artcolle
      http://www.galleriamia.net/ArtBinding.htm
      http://artistbooks.com/abr/nightdesert.htm
      http://artscenecal.com/ArticlesFile/Archive/Articles2005/Articles0405/LargeBooksA.html San Francisco Center for the Book :: http://www.sfcb.org/
      Los Angeles Book Arts Center :: http://www.labookarts.com/Events/happenings.html
      In Venice - Back Space Book Arts.com
      http://www.bookarts.com/Classified/index.html has a huge number of book arts related resources.

      We will also be accepting two-dimensional work that includes text as an integral part of the pieces, not only as a design element.

      Take in is scheduled for Monday 8/21 and Tuesday, 8/22. Jurors to be announced. The reception for the opening of the show is scheduled for Friday 8/25 at 6:30 PM. It will run till Saturday, 9/23, with pick up of work on Sunday 9/24. Any changes in this schedule will be posted in the Artist Union Website.

      All framed work and pieces to be displayed on walls must be ready to hang.
      If work is fragile and not to be handled, you must provide a way to display that will not allow damage to the piece.
      Include with your piece any presentation element that is integral to the display of the piece (stand, box, shelf, etc.)

      For any questions please call Ines Monguio (805) 647 9838 before 9:30 AM and after 7:30 PM on week days, any time on weekends, or leave a message.