Upcoming and current San Francisco book arts exhibits

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
      The Bay Area Book Artists are holding their first Book Arts Jam on
      October 12 at Foothill College in Los Altos Hills. It will include
      limited editions, artists' books, zines, letterpress books and
      broadsheets, mailart, calligraphy, fine art prints. the intent is to
      create an "open studio" for a day where work can be shown (and sold),
      ideas shared, and visitors can learn about book arts. It does not
      appear to be limited to Bay Area artists, but it is necessary to
      submit an application with photos of work by June 30. The fee for
      participating artists is $25. I have a copy of the application or
      you can get it off their website:
      www.sbawca.org/baba

      We managed to see 3 exhibits last weekend in San Francisco, each
      quite different from the other and all worthwhile to catch if you'll
      be in the city in the near future.

      "The Artist's Book: Unlimited Engagement" at SF Center for the Book
      ends June 20. It is a display of books created by 9 book artists
      during a yearlong exploration of what is an artist's book. I'll
      bring some photos to the meeting tomorrow at Lumino Press.

      "The Best of the Best" traveling exhibition of the Guild of Book
      Workers will be at the SF Public Library until June 27. It contains
      35 books, ranging from traditional to very unconventional structures.
      I'll bring the catalog to the meeting. Gail Sulmeyer of S.B., Inge
      Bruggeman (formerly of S.B.) and Gloria Helfgott (who came to our
      first meeting and is from Pacific Palisades) are all included.

      "A Typographic Discourse: Women and the Book Arts in California,
      1930-2000" in the Donohue Rare Book Room (open only on weekdays) at
      Gleeson Library, University of San Francisco, runs through June 21.
      It is an intriguing exhibit of letterpress printing beginning with
      Jane Grabhorn and including a number of contemporary book artists and
      printers, among them Sandra Reese of Turkey Press in Isla Vista. We
      also had the opportunity to see one of the lecturn Bibles recently
      completed by Arion Press (now located at the Presidio). I'll bring
      some (letterpress) printed materials I picked up on that visit.

      Hope to see you all tomorrow!