Repairing old bindings

    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2006
      A friend of mine who lives in Los Olivos, CA, has a couple of small
      leather family photo albums which are falling apart at the spine.
      She's looking for someone in Santa Barbara County who can help with
      their repair. I know some of you have taken the Adult Ed class and
      others are accomplished binders of your own work, but I want to refer
      her to someone who's interested and qualified to do this type of work
      professionally. If anyone can recommend a local binder who might be
      able to assist, I'd appreciate a referral.

      Thanks,

      pam.maines@...
      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2006
        We sure need a good book binder in this neighborhood. And I want to alert
        everyone that the training at Adult Ed is not what you want for anything of
        value, commercial or sentimental. They use tea to give paper an aged look
        (there is tannic acid in tea), Elmer's glue instead of PVA's, and various
        practices that sent me flying from those classes because I couldn't stand
        seeing any more old editions be damaged in the name of repair.

        My information is a few years old so if anyone knows that things have
        changed for the better I would love to hear it.

        > A friend of mine who lives in Los Olivos, CA, has a couple of small
        > leather family photo albums which are falling apart at the spine.
        > She's looking for someone in Santa Barbara County who can help with
        > their repair. I know some of you have taken the Adult Ed class and
        > others are accomplished binders of your own work, but I want to refer
        > her to someone who's interested and qualified to do this type of work
        > professionally. If anyone can recommend a local binder who might be
        > able to assist, I'd appreciate a referral.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Pam
        > --

        > Pam Maines
        > pam.maines@...
        > 805-964-6742

      • Kristine Kelly
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2006
          I know a professional bookbinder in Santa Barbara. I used to recommend her when I worked at Chaucer's and everyone was pleased with the results. her name is June Kelley and her phone number is 687-7234.
          She also knows of a bookbinder in Lompoc. The business is called the New Leaf Bookbindery and the number is 735-6228. I hope this helps,
          Kristine Kelly

          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2006
            Thanks so much, Jill and Kristine, for the quick responses. I'll
            forward them to my friend Sybil.

            pam.maines@...
          • Sara Norquay
            Message 5 of 8 , May 20, 2006
              This summer Sara Norquay is offering a printmaking class on Saturdays
              12:30-3:30 beginning June 10th and continuing for 6 weeks at the Schott
              Center (Adult Ed) print room (23).

              The class will be a combo printmaking survey and introductory artist�s book
              course. Three printmaking processes will be introduced and the artist may
              then choose one of the three processes for an artist�s book.

              A $40 materials fee includes paper, plates, ink, and tools. Please be on
              time for the very first class.

              Looking forward to seeing you there!
            • lifsart
              Message 6 of 8 , May 20, 2006
                Are one of the techniques solar printing? Thanks, Carolk.

                This summer Sara Norquay is offering a printmaking class on Saturdays
                12:30-3:30 beginning June 10th and continuing for 6 weeks at the Schott
                Center (Adult Ed) print room (23).

                The class will be a combo printmaking survey and introductory artist's
                book
                course. Three printmaking processes will be introduced and the artist
                may
                then choose one of the three processes for an artist's book.

                A $40 materials fee includes paper, plates, ink, and tools. Please be on

                time for the very first class.

                Looking forward to seeing you there!

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Sara Norquay
                Message 7 of 8 , May 21, 2006
                  Yes, the three techniques will be relief, dry point and solar etching.

                  Sara