June 15th Meeting: Directions to The Lumino Press

  • John Balkwill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2002
      The Saturday, June 15, 2002 Book Arts Meeting will take place at The Lumino
      Press, which is located in a small studio located at 1911 De La Vina Street,
      Unit E in Santa Barbara. The phone number at the press is 805-563-1125. The
      meeting is scehduled to commence at 1pm.

      Directions to the press from Hwy 101 are as follows:
      1. Take the Mission Street exit, turn "toward the mountains" on Mission St.
      2. Proceed on Mission (past Castillo and Bath streets) to De La Vina Street.
      3. Turn right on De La Vina Street ( a one-way street)
      4. Pass by McConnell's Ice Cream store and look for the small allyway, on
      the right, between the Santa Barbara Cheesecake Company and a Laundramat.
      5. Turn right into the ally where The Lumino Press is located, just off the
      street in a row of light industrial shops at Unit E.

      There is limited parking in front of the Press; parking is also available on
      the street on either Pedregosa or De La Vina.

      Bottled water will be available at the press. There are a few places to eat
      in the neighborhood, such as the Cajun Kitchen, The Daily Grind and Derf's.

      The Lumino Press, operated by John Balkwill does letterpress printing and
      hand bookbinding. It produces limited edition books and portfolios and does
      some "job" printing.

      The meeting will consist of the following three parts:
      1. A general introduction to the kinds of work and projects done at the
      Press.
      2. A discussion with Santa Barbara artist Mary Heebner about collaborations
      with the press on limited edition artist's books.
      3. A demonstration of letterpress printing on a Vandercook UN I press. Each
      person will have the opportunity to pull a few proofs.

      Everyone is welcome.

    • patbooks2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2002
        Thanks, John. I'll be seeing y'all there on Saturday!!

        Patrice

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
          The Bay Area Book Artists are holding their first Book Arts Jam on
          October 12 at Foothill College in Los Altos Hills. It will include
          limited editions, artists' books, zines, letterpress books and
          broadsheets, mailart, calligraphy, fine art prints. the intent is to
          create an "open studio" for a day where work can be shown (and sold),
          ideas shared, and visitors can learn about book arts. It does not
          appear to be limited to Bay Area artists, but it is necessary to
          submit an application with photos of work by June 30. The fee for
          participating artists is $25. I have a copy of the application or
          you can get it off their website:
          www.sbawca.org/baba

          We managed to see 3 exhibits last weekend in San Francisco, each
          quite different from the other and all worthwhile to catch if you'll
          be in the city in the near future.

          "The Artist's Book: Unlimited Engagement" at SF Center for the Book
          ends June 20. It is a display of books created by 9 book artists
          during a yearlong exploration of what is an artist's book. I'll
          bring some photos to the meeting tomorrow at Lumino Press.

          "The Best of the Best" traveling exhibition of the Guild of Book
          Workers will be at the SF Public Library until June 27. It contains
          35 books, ranging from traditional to very unconventional structures.
          I'll bring the catalog to the meeting. Gail Sulmeyer of S.B., Inge
          Bruggeman (formerly of S.B.) and Gloria Helfgott (who came to our
          first meeting and is from Pacific Palisades) are all included.

          "A Typographic Discourse: Women and the Book Arts in California,
          1930-2000" in the Donohue Rare Book Room (open only on weekdays) at
          Gleeson Library, University of San Francisco, runs through June 21.
          It is an intriguing exhibit of letterpress printing beginning with
          Jane Grabhorn and including a number of contemporary book artists and
          printers, among them Sandra Reese of Turkey Press in Isla Vista. We
          also had the opportunity to see one of the lecturn Bibles recently
          completed by Arion Press (now located at the Presidio). I'll bring
          some (letterpress) printed materials I picked up on that visit.

          Hope to see you all tomorrow!