Re: New Mexico book artist

  • patbooks2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
      Angela, I think you're talking about Gail Reike, aren't you?

      Pat Baldwin

    • lolomama@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9, 2002
        Thanks for the tips, Pam! Hope all is well with you. Best, Lois

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
          On Friday, I went to Cuesta College (between San Luis Obispo and
          Morro Bay on Hwy 1) to see their annual book arts exhibit and I want
          to encourage anyone who's traveling that way this week to check it
          out. It's in the art gallery and will be open July 3-7 (including
          July 4) from 11 am-4 pm. The show contains a real variety of work
          and the quality varies, but what's wonderful is that it's a "hands
          on" show and you can put on a pair of cotton gloves and examine every
          piece. There are some very creative ideas as well as some very
          simple ones, with everything from boxes to Xeroxed zines to one of
          Mary Heebner's gorgeous letterpress printed and painted trilogies.
          Unfortunately, there is no catalog or listing to take away, but there
          is a price list and a compilation of bios/background sheets from many
          of the artists that you can look at while there.

          Also, SO CALled Books, the exhibit of books by So. Calif. artists
          which Gloria Helfgott curated for the SFCB several years ago, is
          opening at UCLA's Research Library later this month. There is a
          lecture or symposium on July 18 and an opening reception on July 19.
          Both are by invitation, but they are willing to send invitations to
          members of our group who are interested in attending. I'm working on
          getting the details (exact times, who's participating, etc.) and will
          pass that info along as soon as I have it. However, if you think you
          might want to go to LA for one or both events, please let me know
          (and give me your mailing address) and I'll forward it to the
          organizers.

          Cheers,

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
            Thanks, Pam! You are a never-ending fund of information (and fun!) Best,
            Lois