Re: FYI - exhibits

  • patbooks2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
      Pam:

      Tell us ALL about ALL the SF trip. Sounds like great fun!

      Pat Baldwin

      --- In bookartsconnection@y..., Pam Maines <pam@r...> wrote:
      > I'm headed to San Francisco tomorrow for one graduation - and three
      > book arts exhibits! I hope to check out "A Typographic Discourse:
      > Women and the Book Arts in California 1930-2000" at USF, "Best of the
      > Best" (Guild of Book Workers' traveling show) at the SF Public
      > Library and "The Artists' Book" at SF Center for the Book. If anyone
      > is interested in knowing about any of them, I'll be happy to tell you
      > what I've seen when I get back.
      >
      > Cheers!
      > Pam
    • patbooks2000
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
        Angela, I think you're talking about Gail Reike, aren't you?

        Pat Baldwin

      • lolomama@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 9, 2002
          Thanks for the tips, Pam! Hope all is well with you. Best, Lois

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
            On Friday, I went to Cuesta College (between San Luis Obispo and
            Morro Bay on Hwy 1) to see their annual book arts exhibit and I want
            to encourage anyone who's traveling that way this week to check it
            out. It's in the art gallery and will be open July 3-7 (including
            July 4) from 11 am-4 pm. The show contains a real variety of work
            and the quality varies, but what's wonderful is that it's a "hands
            on" show and you can put on a pair of cotton gloves and examine every
            piece. There are some very creative ideas as well as some very
            simple ones, with everything from boxes to Xeroxed zines to one of
            Mary Heebner's gorgeous letterpress printed and painted trilogies.
            Unfortunately, there is no catalog or listing to take away, but there
            is a price list and a compilation of bios/background sheets from many
            of the artists that you can look at while there.

            Also, SO CALled Books, the exhibit of books by So. Calif. artists
            which Gloria Helfgott curated for the SFCB several years ago, is
            opening at UCLA's Research Library later this month. There is a
            lecture or symposium on July 18 and an opening reception on July 19.
            Both are by invitation, but they are willing to send invitations to
            members of our group who are interested in attending. I'm working on
            getting the details (exact times, who's participating, etc.) and will
            pass that info along as soon as I have it. However, if you think you
            might want to go to LA for one or both events, please let me know
            (and give me your mailing address) and I'll forward it to the
            organizers.

            Cheers,

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
              Thanks, Pam! You are a never-ending fund of information (and fun!) Best,
              Lois