he is fabulous!

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
      Start the New Year Creatively

      A special opportunity for the Book Arts Community

      Workshops with UK author and artist Paul Johnson

      Where & When:

      Saturday, January 27, 2006 at the studio of Sue Ann Robinson in Long Beach

      Sunday, January 28, 2006 at Backspace Book Arts in Venice For information and registration for Sunday's workshop-The Permanently Open Page-contact Marcia Moore (310)-722-9004 or marcia@... Backspace Bookarts is located at 595 Venice Blvd., Venice, CA.

      For Whom: artists, teachers, and anyone interested in the book arts

      Instructor: Paul Johnson is internationally recognized for his pioneering work in developing literacy through the book arts and as a paper and book artist. Author of over fifteen titles including A Book of One's Own, Literacy Through the Book Arts and Pictures and Words Together, (all Heinemann, USA), Johnson ran the Book Art Project at Manchester Metropolitan University from 1986 to 1997. His moveable books are in the collections of the Cooper-Hewett Museum in New York, the National Gallery, the Library of Congress, the Univesrity of California at Berkeley and Yale University among others. His work is included in Stand and Deliver, an exhibition of movable books currently touring the USA.

      What: Three exciting workshops in one weekend for a limited number of participants. Take one or two or all three workshops! Space is limited at both venues. Please register with Sue Ann Robinson for Saturday's workshops in Long Beach & Marcia Moore for Sunday's workshop At Backspace Bookarts in Venice soon to reserve a space.

      ? Making Movable Editions: Single sheet books

      Saturday, January 27, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Long Beach $60.00 Limit: 8

      Recently Paul Johnson has become preoccupied with making editions from a domestic computer colour printer. The workshop begins with cutting out and assembling from the flat sheet one of Paul's 90-degree pop-up editioned books. Explore techniquesw and produce models easily constructed from a photocopied base design. Participants design a pop-up book on a single sheet of paper suitable for reproduction as an edition.

      ?A Box of Fireworks

      Saturday, January 27, 2 to 5 p.m. in Long Beach. $75. Limited to 8

      No one can wrest more surprise from a few pieces of paper than Paul Johnson. This class starts with participants making a paper origami box. Then construct an extending pop-up book that grows out of the box. As the books is removed, papers pop out from the sides like a pyrotechnic display! It's great fun to make and amazingly, requires only paper, scissors and glue.

      Register for one or both Long Beach workshops: Send a check made payable to Sue Ann Robinson for $60 (morning) or $75 (afternoon) or, the discounted amount of $105 for both workshops on Saturday in Long Beach only. SPACE IS LIMITED. First come, first served. Bring a Bag Lunch. (Refrigeration and microwave are available.) Please enclose the registration form with your check. You will receive confirmation, directions, and a supply list. If the workshop is full, your check will be returned.

      Note: Register for Sunday's workshop with Marcia Moore at Backspace Bookarts.

      Please enclose this form with your check made payable to Sue Ann Robinson.

      Please mail your check and registration form to

      Sue Ann Robinson

      Long Beach Museum of Art

      2300 E. Ocean Blvd

      Long Beach, CA 90803

      Name:

      Mailing address:

      City & Zip:

      Contact telephone including Area Code:

      Email address:

      Please indicate the way in which you prefer receiving directions, confirmation, and supply list.

    • Marcia Moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
        Hi Jill I'm noticing that Sueann has the dates wrong it is really the
        28 and 29th of Jan. Everything else is correct, Marcia moore

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
          Dear Marcia,

          Thanks for the clarification. I am thinking of coming down to your place
          for the Sunday workshop(s?). I am anxious to see what your new place looks
          like. Is there anything more you can tell us about the what Paul will be
          doing at Backspace Bookarts?

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
            Hi Jill, Paul will be teaching the Permanently Open Page The
            description is up as of tonight on the Backspacebookarts.com site. It
            looks at the book as a possible wall piece instead of on the shelf.
            The class is all day 10-4 and the materials are included 100$ I have
            gotten a lot of mail from Sueann's message so i'm hoping to fill the
            class. Where are you located? I know so little about the list serves
            that I'm a little mystified. I have a nice show up in the gallery if
            you are close. Thanks for your interest, Marcia