4th INTERNATIONAL Artists' Book Show

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2005
      FW: FOURTH INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS.docA message from Elena Siff for anyone interested.

      Jill...Thought the group might be interested in this info...I am working on books for Hungary and for Vilnius exhibitions in 2006 now...Cheers! Elena

      King St. Stephen Museum in Székesfehérvár, Hungary is a county museum with a range of rich collections (archaeology, ethnography, local history, modern and contemporary art). The city is about 60 kilometers from Budapest.

      The museum started to work in the field of artists’ books almost twenty years ago.

      In 1987 we organized the First International Artists’ Book Exhibition. There were about 300 works presented and later donated to the museum by the artists, thus establishing the first and still the only artists’ book collection in Hungary owned by a museum. As the years went by, our collection increased and we entered into relations with artists, archives and centers (e.g. Franklin Furnace Archives, New York and Guy Bleus’s Administration Centre, Wellen).

      The museum held an exhibition in 1992 “American Book Arts” and in the following year, the Society of Hungarian Artists’ Book Publishers was founded.

      In 1994 the Second International Artists’ Book Exhibition was shown in our museum. It had some 160 participants who sent their works, totaling 350 artists’ books. In the same year bookworks by Robbin Ami Silverberg were exhibited.

      That year a partnership program was established within the framework of the American Association of Museums. A Hungarian exhibition, “Made in Hungary: Contemporary Artists’ Books” was on view in Cortland, NY and traveled to the Visual Studies Workshop in Rochester, NY in March and April.

      In 2000 the museum organized the Third International Artist’ Books Exhibition, with about 330 participants and more then 550 works exhibited.

      At present we have good contacts with numerous important artists’ book collections and archives (e.g. Museum of Modern Art, New York, Géza Perneczky’s Archives, Cologne).

      There is an ever increasing artists’ book collection of about 1100–1200 pieces in our museum (consisting of works by both Hungarian and international artists), in large part due to the artists who have donated the books to the collection after the shows.

      Pieces are on display in a permanent exhibition in the New Hungarian Gallery.

      In 2006 May (from May until September) we plan to have the Fourth International Artists’ Book Exhibition.

      The King St. Stephen Museum in collaboration with the City Gallery – Deák Collection in Székesfehérvár is organizing the Fourth International Artists’ Book Exhibition in May–September 2006. (Opening date: May 20th 2006)

      Dear Artist, we would like to invite you to participate in this event and ask you to send to the show artists’ book made between 2000 and 2006.

      We welcome bookworks, book objects and artists’ books that consider the whole range of book forms, conceptual and visual content and/or material. Each artist can send up to 3 pieces (the organizers do reserve the right to select if there are space limitations).

      All participants will get a catalogue of the show. The catalogue will be bilingual (Hungarian–English).

      If possible, please send either slides or digital images (300 dpi) for the catalogue.

      Place of the exhibition: Csók István Gallery and City Gallery Deák Collection, Székesfehérvár.

      Deadline for sending in works and images: 18th February, 2006

      Works should be sent to: Szent István Király Múzeum (King St. Stephen Museum)

      8000 Székesfehérvár

      F?ca. 6.

      For further information please contact Kati Izinger, art historian, King St. Stephen Museum,

      Tel.: +36-22-315583 Fax: +36-22-311734 Mobile: +36-30-4994702

      email: izingerkati@...

      Székesfehérvár, 20th October, 2005

      Yours sincerely,

      Dr. Gyula Fülöp

      museum director

      Name: ______________________________________________________________________

      Title of work(s)/ Technique(s)/ Size: (if possible in English)

      o Please send back my artwork after the show

      ¨ I donate my work(s) to the King St. Stephen Museum

      You may forward this Invitation to other artists.

      ------ End of Forwarded Message