New Mexico book artist

  • Angela Moll
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2002
      Hi you all: can anybody please remind me of the name of that book artist in
      New Mexico, about whom we've talked several times in our saturday meetings?
      One of us took a workshop recently with her, and somebody also brought an
      exhibit catalog of hers for show and tell. I am drawing a blank at the
      moment...

      Thanks a lot,

      Angela
    • patbooks2000
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
        Pam:

        Tell us ALL about ALL the SF trip. Sounds like great fun!

        Pat Baldwin

        --- In bookartsconnection@y..., Pam Maines <pam@r...> wrote:
        > I'm headed to San Francisco tomorrow for one graduation - and three
        > book arts exhibits! I hope to check out "A Typographic Discourse:
        > Women and the Book Arts in California 1930-2000" at USF, "Best of the
        > Best" (Guild of Book Workers' traveling show) at the SF Public
        > Library and "The Artists' Book" at SF Center for the Book. If anyone
        > is interested in knowing about any of them, I'll be happy to tell you
        > what I've seen when I get back.
        >
        > Cheers!
        > Pam
      • patbooks2000
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
          Angela, I think you're talking about Gail Reike, aren't you?

          Pat Baldwin

        • lolomama@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 9, 2002
            Thanks for the tips, Pam! Hope all is well with you. Best, Lois

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
              On Friday, I went to Cuesta College (between San Luis Obispo and
              Morro Bay on Hwy 1) to see their annual book arts exhibit and I want
              to encourage anyone who's traveling that way this week to check it
              out. It's in the art gallery and will be open July 3-7 (including
              July 4) from 11 am-4 pm. The show contains a real variety of work
              and the quality varies, but what's wonderful is that it's a "hands
              on" show and you can put on a pair of cotton gloves and examine every
              piece. There are some very creative ideas as well as some very
              simple ones, with everything from boxes to Xeroxed zines to one of
              Mary Heebner's gorgeous letterpress printed and painted trilogies.
              Unfortunately, there is no catalog or listing to take away, but there
              is a price list and a compilation of bios/background sheets from many
              of the artists that you can look at while there.

              Also, SO CALled Books, the exhibit of books by So. Calif. artists
              which Gloria Helfgott curated for the SFCB several years ago, is
              opening at UCLA's Research Library later this month. There is a
              lecture or symposium on July 18 and an opening reception on July 19.
              Both are by invitation, but they are willing to send invitations to
              members of our group who are interested in attending. I'm working on
              getting the details (exact times, who's participating, etc.) and will
              pass that info along as soon as I have it. However, if you think you
              might want to go to LA for one or both events, please let me know
              (and give me your mailing address) and I'll forward it to the
              organizers.

              Cheers,

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
                Thanks, Pam! You are a never-ending fund of information (and fun!) Best,
                Lois