polymer clay printing

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5 12:04 PM
      Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:20:15 -0700
      From: Meredith Arnold <marnold@...>
      Subject: Re: pasta amchine printing

      FYI - there are two ways to print using a pasta machine!

      One is as described by Alice using polymer clay to make the printing

      Some more specifics on that: Bake the polymer clay in a craft dedicated
      oven using an oven thermometer (for safety sake) at approx. 265-275 degrees
      for 30 minutes per 1/4" thickness or follow the manufacturer's instruction
      for baking. Baking higher than 300 degrees with most brands of polymer clay
      will result in creating terribly toxic fumes that you do not want to

      The second way is to use the pasta machine as a printing press for
      monoprinting, etc. This process entails inking or painting a carrier surface
      then sandwiching face to face with the surface to be printed. For example,
      applying paint or slow drying ink onto glossy cardstock or acetate film and
      then sandwiching that to a piece of paper (all cut to size to run thru the
      pasta machine), add some string in between the layers if you want, and then
      running the sandwich through the pasta machine. Peel the layers apart and
      you have a print. There are lots of variations on this theme including using
      resists like thermally activated embossing powders on the carrier sheet or
      the piece to be printed to create patterns before inking or after the first
      color has been run and then applying a second color, etc.

      Have fun!

      Meredith Arnold
      Comedian Artist, Instructor and Designer
      110 N. 201 St.
      Shoreline, WA 98133-3012

      Edmonds Community College Arts Now Instructor/Delegate to China for Sept.
      2005 Exchange
      Artist Representative for Polyform Products (www.sculpey.com), a polymer
      clay manufacturer
      Advisor to the Board, N.W. Polymer Clay Guild
      Certified PMC instructor, certified by Rio Grande Jewelry Supply, New Mexico
      and PMC Connection, Texas

      Member of:
      N.W. Polymer Clay Guild, (www.nwpcg.org)
      Precious Metal Clay Guild, (www.pmclay.com)