book art show proposal

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005
      I am in the process of proposing a show of book art at the Artist Union Gallery in Ventura, California. It would help the gallery committee to make a decision if I can include pictures. They seem to be most aware of smaller work in codex and accordion, and their variations. I would like to show them larger works, architectural forms, and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Ines Monguio

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 21, 2005
        >Manhattan Beach Creative Arts Center Features New Exhibition
        >BOOKED UP, BOXED IN & PAPERED OVER
        >Sept. 30- Oct. 29
        >Opening Reception Sept. 30 at 7 p.m.
        >
        >Manhattan Beach, CA--- The Cultural Arts Division of the Manhattan
        >Beach Parks & Recreation Department will present a new exhibition
        >titled, Booked Up, Boxed In & Papered Over, featuring art books,
        >paper purses, pop-up designs, decorative paper, photo albums,
        >journals, and sculptural boxes, from Sept. 30-Oct. 29 at the
        >Manhattan Beach Creative Arts Center (CAC), 1560 Manhattan Beach
        >Blvd. Gallery hours are Tuesday & Thursday 2-6 p.m., Wednesday 2-8
        >p.m., and Saturday 1-5 p.m. Admission is free. An opening
        >reception with the artists will be held on Friday, Sept. 30 at 7 p.m.
        >The exhibition will feature six South Bay artists: Betz Salmont,
        >Trish Lange, Judy Schuster, Pam Weber, Sue Poindexter, and Charlotte
        >Marshall. The artists are all members of a Manhattan Beach "studio"
        >group (called the "Bookies") which meets once a month to create,
        >teach, and learn various one-of-a-kind art book, paper, and box
        >projects. The show will feature a sampling of their most
        >interesting and unique creations from the past 10 years. A series
        >of workshops taught by the artists is also planned during the
        >exhibition.
        >According to gallery curator Megumi Sando, "Considering the artistic
        >credits the members of this group have, you shouldn't be surprised
        >by the beautifully creative pieces amassed in this exhibit."
        >The title is a double (or triple) entendre. It refers in general to
        >our busy everyday lives; it refers to the artists' in the exhibit
        >who are professionally employed in other artistic endeavors yet
        >searching for other mediums in which to release their creative
        >talents; and it refers to the objects in this exhibit---stunningly
        >decorative and creative boxes, books and papers, some of which are
        >almost sculptural in form.
        >The words---boxes, books and papers---don't justly describe what the
        >artists have created. The containers are like none other you've
        >seen before taking on amazing shapes and uses, and decorated in
        >unique ways with some very fascinating materials. Some are much
        >larger than you might expect, some allow viewer interaction and some
        >may actually be touched which is uncommon in most exhibitions of
        >this type.
        >You will want to judge these books and boxes by their covers because
        >that's what most of them are all about. But don't stop there
        >because the insides have some surprising contents to reveal as well.
        >Some have words, but others use folds, images, shapes and colors,
        >and pop-up designs to tell their stories.
        >"Bookbinding once was a relatively obscure craft, applied mainly to
        >exquisite, limited editions of classic writings. In recent years
        >book making has burst into the mainstream with some new and exciting
> [...]

      • Sara Norquay
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
          Greetings artist friends!

          No experience necessary for this non-toxic course. All materials provided
          and it is very easy to do.

          "Safe Printmaking with Solarplate" begins this coming Saturday, September 24
          at 12:30 Sharp. $40 (material's fee) is payable at enrollment which happens
          within the first 15 minutes of class.

          The Printmaking for Book Arts class scheduled for Friday afternoons did not
          fill, so I am offering a book project for all interested Solarplate Class
          members toward the end of this course. The Safe Printmaking class is 9 weeks
          long (had been 8 weeks in the past) so there is plenty of time.

          Please be prompt. Adult Ed is under the gun from the State to prove that
          their classes are in demand in our community, and will be visiting classes
          frequently to do headcounts. This means a class could be cancelled any time
          there are less than 10 students present. This has not been a problem in Safe
          Printmaking with Solarplate in the past, but we must be vigilant.

          I am back from travels in France and Canada with lots to share. Elaine
          LeVasseur will be in class, by the press, making sure students have all the
          help they need inking plates and getting perfect prints every time.

          Both Jill Littlewood and Ines Monguio have done some significant
          experimenting in this class with fabulous results. Come on and check it out.

          Hope to see you there.

          Sara Norquay
        • Sara Norquay
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 23, 2005
            Greetings Artists and Friends.

            to enroll in my Adult Ed Printmaking for Book Artists class, I am offering a
            four week class at another location. Please see the flyer pasted below.

            Sara

            Printmaking for Book Artists
            Four Friday afternoons from 2:00 to 4:30 PM
            September 30 to October 21, 2005

            Live Oak Unitarian Church, 820 North Fairview, Goleta, CA

            Sara Norquay is offering a short course in relief block printing for using
            in beautiful handmade books. A variety of printing techniques will be
            demonstrated along with several different book structures, and some
            approaches to planning content. Students will take home at least one
            completed book.

            Course fee: $85.00, materials fee: $15.00. Paper, ink, relief blocks and
            special tools will be supplied. Class size will be limited. Need 6
            participants for the class to go.

            It is suggested that students bring some basic tools to facilitate work. We
            will be sharing cutters , brayers, etc.
            Basic tools: pair of scissors, glue stick, 12 inch ruler, pencil, black
            Sharpie, sketchbook or notebook.

            For signing up or for more information call: 967-9650 or email:
            slnorquay@...

            Cut along this line.

            My check is enclosed for ________________________ I will pay at first
            class: ________

            Please mail checks, payable to Sara Norquay, to:
            6210 Westmorland Place, Goleta, CA 93117