Re: [bookartsconnection] regarding spam

  • Johunot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26 5:47 PM
      Hey Karen!

      Call me so we can still get together here at my studio.

      JoAnne Hunot

      687-4777

      2605 Montrose Place
      Santa Barbara, CA 93105

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2002
        Kris Buck is offering a workshop called "The Wandering Secret
        Compartment Journal Workshop" on Saturday, July 20, from 11-3 at Step
        One Gallery in Carpinteria. She will supply all materials for you to
        make a secret compartment book that can be put to a variety of uses.
        To register, sent a check for the nonrefundable fee of $25, payable
        to Step One Art Gallery, to LaVerne Fanthorpe, 1059 casitas Pass road
        #202, Carpinteria 93013, by July 13. Be sure to include your name,
        address and phone number. If oversubscribed, workshop may be
        repeated Sunday, July 21. Kris is a fun person and talented artist
        who paints, creates beautiful collages and has made wonderful books,
        including a travel journal (with secret compartments, naturally), for
        her recent trip to France.

        Artists' Books 2002 is an exhibit at Cuesta College Art Gallery in
        SLO from June 10-July 7. The opening reception is Friday, June 14,
        from 6-8 pm. The announcement doesn't give any details - artists,
        types of books, etc., so if anyone goes to the show, please let the
        rest of us know about it!

        I'm headed to San Francisco tomorrow for one graduation - and three
        book arts exhibits! I hope to check out "A Typographic Discourse:
        Women and the Book Arts in California 1930-2000" at USF, "Best of the
        Best" (Guild of Book Workers' traveling show) at the SF Public
        Library and "The Artists' Book" at SF Center for the Book. If anyone
        is interested in knowing about any of them, I'll be happy to tell you
        what I've seen when I get back.

        Cheers!

      • Angela Moll
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2002
          Hi you all: can anybody please remind me of the name of that book artist in
          New Mexico, about whom we've talked several times in our saturday meetings?
          One of us took a workshop recently with her, and somebody also brought an
          exhibit catalog of hers for show and tell. I am drawing a blank at the
          moment...

          Thanks a lot,

          Angela
        • patbooks2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
            Pam:

            Tell us ALL about ALL the SF trip. Sounds like great fun!

            Pat Baldwin

            --- In bookartsconnection@y..., Pam Maines <pam@r...> wrote:
            > I'm headed to San Francisco tomorrow for one graduation - and three
            > book arts exhibits! I hope to check out "A Typographic Discourse:
            > Women and the Book Arts in California 1930-2000" at USF, "Best of the
            > Best" (Guild of Book Workers' traveling show) at the SF Public
            > Library and "The Artists' Book" at SF Center for the Book. If anyone
            > is interested in knowing about any of them, I'll be happy to tell you
            > what I've seen when I get back.
            >
            > Cheers!
            > Pam
          • patbooks2000
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
              Angela, I think you're talking about Gail Reike, aren't you?

              Pat Baldwin

            • lolomama@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 9, 2002
                Thanks for the tips, Pam! Hope all is well with you. Best, Lois

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
                  On Friday, I went to Cuesta College (between San Luis Obispo and
                  Morro Bay on Hwy 1) to see their annual book arts exhibit and I want
                  to encourage anyone who's traveling that way this week to check it
                  out. It's in the art gallery and will be open July 3-7 (including
                  July 4) from 11 am-4 pm. The show contains a real variety of work
                  and the quality varies, but what's wonderful is that it's a "hands
                  on" show and you can put on a pair of cotton gloves and examine every
                  piece. There are some very creative ideas as well as some very
                  simple ones, with everything from boxes to Xeroxed zines to one of
                  Mary Heebner's gorgeous letterpress printed and painted trilogies.
                  Unfortunately, there is no catalog or listing to take away, but there
                  is a price list and a compilation of bios/background sheets from many
                  of the artists that you can look at while there.

                  Also, SO CALled Books, the exhibit of books by So. Calif. artists
                  which Gloria Helfgott curated for the SFCB several years ago, is
                  opening at UCLA's Research Library later this month. There is a
                  lecture or symposium on July 18 and an opening reception on July 19.
                  Both are by invitation, but they are willing to send invitations to
                  members of our group who are interested in attending. I'm working on
                  getting the details (exact times, who's participating, etc.) and will
                  pass that info along as soon as I have it. However, if you think you
                  might want to go to LA for one or both events, please let me know
                  (and give me your mailing address) and I'll forward it to the
                  organizers.

                  Cheers,

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
                    Thanks, Pam! You are a never-ending fund of information (and fun!) Best,
                    Lois