regarding spam

  • artisforall
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26, 2002
      Greetings all,
      Someone recently joined our group from the United Kingdom and posted
      a link that when clicked went to directly to an advertisement. Big
      no-no here!
      The member has been removed from our group as well as the offending
      message.
      "Yahoo! Groups has a very strict policy about spam: Members may not
      use our service to send unsolicited or unauthorized advertising,
      promotional materials, spam, chain letters, multilevel/pyramid
      schemes, or any other form of solicitation."

      Regards,

      Your humble and quiet moderator,
      Karen Thomas
    • Johunot@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26, 2002
        Hey Karen!

        Call me so we can still get together here at my studio.

        JoAnne Hunot

        687-4777

        2605 Montrose Place
        Santa Barbara, CA 93105

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2002
          Kris Buck is offering a workshop called "The Wandering Secret
          Compartment Journal Workshop" on Saturday, July 20, from 11-3 at Step
          One Gallery in Carpinteria. She will supply all materials for you to
          make a secret compartment book that can be put to a variety of uses.
          To register, sent a check for the nonrefundable fee of $25, payable
          to Step One Art Gallery, to LaVerne Fanthorpe, 1059 casitas Pass road
          #202, Carpinteria 93013, by July 13. Be sure to include your name,
          address and phone number. If oversubscribed, workshop may be
          repeated Sunday, July 21. Kris is a fun person and talented artist
          who paints, creates beautiful collages and has made wonderful books,
          including a travel journal (with secret compartments, naturally), for
          her recent trip to France.

          Artists' Books 2002 is an exhibit at Cuesta College Art Gallery in
          SLO from June 10-July 7. The opening reception is Friday, June 14,
          from 6-8 pm. The announcement doesn't give any details - artists,
          types of books, etc., so if anyone goes to the show, please let the
          rest of us know about it!

          I'm headed to San Francisco tomorrow for one graduation - and three
          book arts exhibits! I hope to check out "A Typographic Discourse:
          Women and the Book Arts in California 1930-2000" at USF, "Best of the
          Best" (Guild of Book Workers' traveling show) at the SF Public
          Library and "The Artists' Book" at SF Center for the Book. If anyone
          is interested in knowing about any of them, I'll be happy to tell you
          what I've seen when I get back.

          Cheers!

        • Angela Moll
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2002
            Hi you all: can anybody please remind me of the name of that book artist in
            New Mexico, about whom we've talked several times in our saturday meetings?
            One of us took a workshop recently with her, and somebody also brought an
            exhibit catalog of hers for show and tell. I am drawing a blank at the
            moment...

            Thanks a lot,

            Angela
          • patbooks2000
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
              Pam:

              Tell us ALL about ALL the SF trip. Sounds like great fun!

              Pat Baldwin

              --- In bookartsconnection@y..., Pam Maines <pam@r...> wrote:
              > I'm headed to San Francisco tomorrow for one graduation - and three
              > book arts exhibits! I hope to check out "A Typographic Discourse:
              > Women and the Book Arts in California 1930-2000" at USF, "Best of the
              > Best" (Guild of Book Workers' traveling show) at the SF Public
              > Library and "The Artists' Book" at SF Center for the Book. If anyone
              > is interested in knowing about any of them, I'll be happy to tell you
              > what I've seen when I get back.
              >
              > Cheers!
              > Pam
            • patbooks2000
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2002
                Angela, I think you're talking about Gail Reike, aren't you?

                Pat Baldwin

              • lolomama@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 9, 2002
                  Thanks for the tips, Pam! Hope all is well with you. Best, Lois

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
                    On Friday, I went to Cuesta College (between San Luis Obispo and
                    Morro Bay on Hwy 1) to see their annual book arts exhibit and I want
                    to encourage anyone who's traveling that way this week to check it
                    out. It's in the art gallery and will be open July 3-7 (including
                    July 4) from 11 am-4 pm. The show contains a real variety of work
                    and the quality varies, but what's wonderful is that it's a "hands
                    on" show and you can put on a pair of cotton gloves and examine every
                    piece. There are some very creative ideas as well as some very
                    simple ones, with everything from boxes to Xeroxed zines to one of
                    Mary Heebner's gorgeous letterpress printed and painted trilogies.
                    Unfortunately, there is no catalog or listing to take away, but there
                    is a price list and a compilation of bios/background sheets from many
                    of the artists that you can look at while there.

                    Also, SO CALled Books, the exhibit of books by So. Calif. artists
                    which Gloria Helfgott curated for the SFCB several years ago, is
                    opening at UCLA's Research Library later this month. There is a
                    lecture or symposium on July 18 and an opening reception on July 19.
                    Both are by invitation, but they are willing to send invitations to
                    members of our group who are interested in attending. I'm working on
                    getting the details (exact times, who's participating, etc.) and will
                    pass that info along as soon as I have it. However, if you think you
                    might want to go to LA for one or both events, please let me know
                    (and give me your mailing address) and I'll forward it to the
                    organizers.

                    Cheers,

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
                      Thanks, Pam! You are a never-ending fund of information (and fun!) Best,
                      Lois