more cpyright free archives

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2005
      Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:13:34 -0700
      From: Mike Parkes <mparkes@...>
      Subject: Re: copyright free image source

      Here are a few...

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
      http://www.worldcityphotos.org/
      http://pdphoto.org/index.php
      http://www.freestockphotos.com/index.html
      http://www.sxc.hu/
      http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Graphics.shtml
      http://www.geekphilosopher.com/MainPage/bkgLinksPhotos.htm

      -Mike

      Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:34:07 -0400
      From: Christine Lorenz <c.lorenz@...>

      Dear Alex and others,

      If you have any money at all and want=20
      decent-quality stock photos, iStock Photo=20
      (http://www.istockphoto.com) is a fresh=20
      development to look into. Something about their=20
      business model lets them sell highly=20
      professional-looking photos for one to three=20
      dollars each, with no permission restrictions.=20
      But this is magaziney stuff, not archivey stuff.

      If you are looking for fine art images, don't=20
      miss the Web Gallery of Art (http://www.wga.hu/).=20
      This European art history resource is=20
      extraordinary in terms of selection, image=20
      quality, and ease of use. And, since no artwork=20
      there is more recent than the mid-1800s,=20
      copyright is not a problem. If you have any doubt=20
      about using their images, they are very helpful=20
      with permission requests.

      One of the good things about Clipart.com (which=20
      used to be ArtToday) is that they have a massive=20
      quantity of Dover archive images, downloadable=20
      for a per-week fee. At least, they did a year or=20
      so ago when I used them last. I found this more=20
      convenient and cheaper than looking up and=20
      ordering the Dover books for what I wanted. Just=20
      make sure to deselect color images in your=20
      searches, or you'll never find the good stuff in=20
      their nightmarish jumble of clip art. Most of=20
      what they pad their numbers out with is=20
      soul-smotheringly awful.

      Barry's Clipart Server=20
      (http://www.barrysclipart.com) used to be kind of=20
      useful, but now seems to be loaded with=20
      Powerpoint-style crapola ...

      (Thanks very much to the others who contributed links, btw)

      --cml

      My absolute favorite, the New York Public Library's image site:
      http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/index.cfm

      Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:44:02 -0500
      From: Karen Hanmer <karen@...>
      Subject: Copyright free image sources

      Try these for photographs:

      NASA
      (a variety of resolutions available)
      http://nix.nasa.gov/
      http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/

      Library of Congress and their partners:
      (resolution varies, some restrictions may apply for use)
      http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/browse/
      http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/catalog.html

      National Archives:
      (not particularly high res)