book arts questions

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2005
      PLEASE RESPOND OFF-LIST to marnie.torrey@....

      Dear Fellow Book Artist,

      I need your help.

      I am giving a lecture this summer entitled, "Why Books?". I will be
      talking about the experiences that led to my involvement in book arts
      and fine press. I would also like to present other artists' involvement
      with the book form. This is an opportunity to educate the local
      community about the vitality and vibrancy of the book arts.

      Please answer the following four questions. Be as brief or as thorough
      as you'd like. I'd rather have a one sentence response than none at all.
      I appreciate your time!

      1. Define artist book (go ahead, take a stab at it!).

      2. Would you characterize yourself as a book person (binder,
      conservator, etc) who recognized the book as an art form, or as an
      artist who found books to be a fertile format, or as another animal
      altogether?

      3. Why books? What is it about the book form, or the book as a concept,
      or the book as a vehicle, or the book as a container, or books in
      general that has inspired you to make them?

      4. What are the usual materials that you employ to make books? What are
      the most wild and innovative materials you've used?

      I will be showing slides in conjunction with this lecture. If you have a
      slide or slides that you would be willing to allow me to use, please
      send them to me. Your name and the title of the piece would be presented
      each time I used the slide. I am hoping to build a personal slide
      library for teaching and lecturing purposes, so I would very much like
      to keep the slides. However, if you would like them returned, I am happy
      to do so. Alternatively, with your permission, I could have a copy made
      and return the original.

      I very much appreciate your time and your willingness to share your
      experiences. Please respond to me at marnie.torrey@... by
      April 10, 2005.

      Thank you,

      Marnie